Considering a gap year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwnewt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a senior right now, studying for my finals and this semester I've found really hard. Attending class and focusing in class had been tough, and this will probably be the worst of my semesters. I actually think I might be just slightly burning out and I'm heavily considering a gap year, especially now that I have found out that I am interview waitlisted at VMCVM (my IS and dream school). I have an interview at KSU; haven't heard anywhere else. Still kinda in that "we shall see" phase but I wanted to see if anyone else who intentionally took a gap year can tell me about what they did, how they liked it, etc. Or if anyone was "forced" into a gap year, same questions. Do schools have opinions about gap years? Is there something specific someone should do during gap years?

I am aiming to work more, save more, go into vet school with no debt. I was thinking I could swing that by this fall (2019) but if I took a gap year, I'd do that and so much more. My SO and I were planning on buying where ever I end up and that would mean we could afford better (I know plenty will have says that not a good idea, but we have a plan). I live near DC and have been eyeing some volunteering at the National Zoo and maybe substitute teaching, a gap year would enable all of that. I could also retake the GRE (even though VMCVM doesn't consider it but it would mean stronger at other schools if I decide to apply elsewhere), and kinda just feel free for a small moment of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think anything’s wrong with gap years, and many students I know took one before vet school whether rejected or wanting to gain more experience first.

I think you should definitely follow through with your interview though, because the application pool greatly changes every year and typically gets stronger.

Personally, I’ve had one interview this year but if I don’t get into school my husband and I are going to relocate somewhere that I will have better IS chances and I’m going to get more large animal experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I took sort of a gap year, but for gaining IS residency and working in a mixed animal practice to make sure I was diverse as possible. I wouldn't really take one if making money is your main reason, as it would be a very small drop in the bucket in the reality of things imo, unless it was a very high paying job.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took sort of a gap year, but for gaining IS residency and working in a mixed animal practice to make sure I was diverse as possible. I wouldn't really take one if making money is your main reason, as it would be a very small drop in the bucket in the reality of things imo, unless it was a very high paying job.

Money would be one of the reasons, definitely not the main reason. I would say the big reason is that I have been studying for a majority of my life, not that that is a huge excuse, plenty of people are able to work around that but I like to focus and if means I do well, then I am willing to sacrifice (my sanity), and I think I personally would benefit from a year away from studying. I would continue working at the animal hospital I currently work at and get more volunteering hours, potentially find an equine volunteering opportunity that I missed out on due to school.

Now I sound like I'm trying to convince myself through other people.

Money would be one of the reasons, definitely not the main reason. I would say the big reason is that I have been studying for a majority of my life, not that that is a huge excuse, plenty of people are able to work around that but I like to focus and if means I do well, then I am willing to sacrifice (my sanity), and I think I personally would benefit from a year away from studying. I would continue working at the animal hospital I currently work at and get more volunteering hours, potentially find an equine volunteering opportunity that I missed out on due to school.

Now I sound like I'm trying to convince myself through other people.
Ha! Yes, if you are feeling burned out, I definitely recommend the gap year. Schools have no issue with it as long as there was some productivity from it. I think knowing it will help your mental fitness shows maturity as well. You still have plenty of hope to get in this year from the sound of it, but gap years are done often enough if that is what ends up happening, no detriment will be had.

Reactions: 4 users
Ha! Yes, if you are feeling burned out, I definitely recommend the gap year. Schools have no issue with it as long as there was some productivity from it. I think knowing it will help your mental fitness shows maturity as well. You still have plenty of hope to get in this year from the sound of it, but gap years are done often enough if that is what ends up happening, no detriment will be had.

Thanks for the advice!

I finished my masters back in the spring and chose to do a gap year while I go through this application cycle. This is my first year not in school since before preschool, and I thought it would be difficult but it has actually been really great just working full time and spending time with my family. I haven't heard of any school that views gap years negatively. If anything I've heard positive feedback, and I'm personally loving it!

I would definitely recommend pursuing an experience that may be a little different from those you already have to give you a bit of diversity in your background. I want to do equine medicine and have tons of hours with an equine vet, but I am actually spending this year working with a small animal clinic. So, if I don't get in and have to reapply I have a new experience that I believe would further improve my application.

Reactions: 2 users
I finished my masters back in the spring and chose to do a gap year while I go through this application cycle. This is my first year not in school since before preschool, and I thought it would be difficult but it has actually been really great just working full time and spending time with my family. I haven't heard of any school that views gap years negatively. If anything I've heard positive feedback, and I'm personally loving it!

I would definitely recommend pursuing an experience that may be a little different from those you already have to give you a bit of diversity in your background. I want to do equine medicine and have tons of hours with an equine vet, but I am actually spending this year working with a small animal clinic. So, if I don't get in and have to reapply I have a new experience that I believe would further improve my application.

That sounds great. I only have a year and a few months experience in a small animal hospital as I'll admit, I got in the game of experience late, but I've really wanted to time to explore other paths but a combination of school and work has prevented me from being able to take on something else. I think a year without the school part would mean I have some much time to do other things and the idea has been growing on me.

If you are in the DMV area and close enough to schlep out to Leesburg every once and awhile, VMCVM's equine medical center has volunteer opportunities you might be interested in:

Volunteer Program

Reactions: 1 user
If you are in the DMV area and close enough to schlep out to Leesburg every once and awhile, VMCVM's equine medical center has volunteer opportunities you might be interested in:

Volunteer Program

I've actually looked into that, and if I were to take a gap year, would absolutely take the opportunity to give that a go. I had actually forgotten about that so thanks for the link.

In my mind there should not be any school that would view you outright negatively for taking a gap year. At the very least, I feel they’d ask you what you did during that year in interviews next cycle, and you would tell them you worked, volunteered, took a break from the books etc which would be great and I’m sure they would love to hear that! If you are burning out, I very much recommend taking a break now, as it only gets more difficult to set aside that time once vet school begins—learned that the hard way.

That said, considering you’re on the waitlist for your in state school, have you thought about how them suddenly extending you an acceptance would change things? If you still feel strongly about your gap year at that point, would you be able to defer?

Reactions: 2 users
In my mind there should not be any school that would view you outright negatively for taking a gap year. At the very least, I feel they’d ask you what you did during that year in interviews next cycle, and you would tell them you worked, volunteered, took a break from the books etc which would be great and I’m sure they would love to hear that! If you are burning out, I very much recommend taking a break now, as it only gets more difficult to set aside that time once vet school begins—learned that the hard way.

That said, considering you’re on the waitlist for your in state school, have you thought about how them suddenly extending you an acceptance would change things? If you still feel strongly about your gap year at that point, would you be able to defer?

Definitely a good point. I don't know if Tech defers, should probably look into that. If they were to extend me an offer (not likely but good to think about), I would likely take it. The gap year has only come about due to being interview waitlisted. I have no idea where else I'll even get interviews yet so it's a bit premature. I should probably look into if any of my other schools defer.

If I do get offers anywhere, I will likely take one. I think that once I graduate in May and having the entirety of June and July would be enough as I took classes for quite a few of my undergrad summers. Having that summer with no worries (except the onslaught of vet school), I think, would be enough for me at that point (especially because I decided to take Orgo I and ll in ten week period last summer and then cram for my GRE for the rest of it).

I think gap years are amazing. Honestly, if I had my druthers, all students applying for professional school would be required to take one. The experience you get from a "real-world" job outside of academia (or anything outside of academia) is incredibly helpful just from a maturity standpoint when you have spent the last however many years in formal schooling. I wish I had taken one at some point in my career.

Reactions: 4 users
I think gap years are amazing. Honestly, if I had my druthers, all students applying for professional school would be required to take one. The experience you get from a "real-world" job outside of academia (or anything outside of academia) is incredibly helpful just from a maturity standpoint when you have spent the last however many years in formal schooling. I wish I had taken one at some point in my career.

I know that lots of people I've talked to in person look down upon them (not here obviously, everyone has great advice), but I think the stigma of post-high school gap years clouds their eyes. Lots of kids take a gap year after high school and it extends much further than they originally thought it would but I definitely agree that using a successful degree for a year to experience some non-school life would be quite beneficial. It's interesting to hear that an actual veterinarian who's gone through it all wishes they would have taken one, thanks!