Considering a transfer to Ross for clinical years, thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Splice_Site

Reaction score
Hello, I am preparing to write Step 1 and have been considering transferring schools after Step. For discretionary concerns let’s say I attend either MUA or SABA. I have been successful throughout my time here, my NBME’s are 240+ and I am interested in Emergency Medicine or Anesthesiology. I have spoken to Admins at Ross discussing the possibility of a transfer, pending Step 1 it seems I would be a consideration for matriculation into their clinical program. I am considering transferring due to the better quality and increased selection of Ross’s clinical sites vs. where I am now. It seems they have more options available for those who would like to stay in one place for their core rotations. They also seem to have overall better residency matches, Ross also matches many more students into the fields I am interested in comparatively. I have several friends that are attending or who have attended Ross and they seem to have a better support structure for their students regarding the clinical years and beyond.

I know that transferring from one Caribbean school to another is usually looked upon unfavorably by program directors. I was wondering if anyone one has any insight or experience with students who transfer “up” regarding quality of schools due to good academic performance and a desire for better clinical training, is this still looked upon unfavorably? Risking program directors viewing this transfer unfavorably would probably not be worth it to me, however I am wondering if it would look more positive to transfer in the eyes of program directors who may be more familiar with Ross students? Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would say go for it. Ross is well established so it looks like it'll be more beneficial to make that step.

Hello, I am preparing to write Step 1 and have been considering transferring schools after Step...

That is an interesting question. I'm also curious if anyone has any direct experience with this, or if a PD could weigh in. It seems to me that if PD's are filtering by school, then being a graduate of Ross would be beneficial to you. It seems unlikely to me that they would dig that deeply into your story at first pass, and by the time the transfer came up in the application, your Step scores and overall application would overshadow any transfer. Then again, perhaps PD's filter by "transfers from another medical school" earlier on in the process just to prevent any possibility of credentialing problems or academic funny-business or dismissals.

I'm kind of surprised Ross is willing to do this, to be honest. Although I guess they would view you as a low-risk student at that point. Are there any drawbacks? Do you have to repeat any comp exams/etc? Will you lose any time?

I wish I had a better answer for you, rather than just thinking aloud. If you do ultimately move forward with the transfer, please let us know how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would strongly suggest you do not do this. The clinical options at Ross aren't that much better than either MUA or SABA and there is no guarantee that you will get to stay in 1 place (despite what the admissions directors tell you- it is not guaranteed for anyone and you would likely be put at the bottom of the pile as a transfer.)

Transfers are a huge red flag to program directors. Any transfer is going to be put in your deans letter and program directors will know about it before they even look at the rest of your application. The name recognition of Ross is not important and isn't going to open any doors for you that wont already be open if you actually do score a 240 on Step 1.

I wouldn't advise you to transfer either. I was a student at Ross and was doing well but unfortunately had to withdraw due to health reasons. I was a semester away from rotations. I have many friends in rotations now and they hate it. My best friend is about to begin her fourth year and she's had nothing but issues with Ross. She switched from one city to another, with her core track, because Ross was not being forthright about what was happening with the Atlanta track. She said the Atlanta hospital was horrible. Many of the residents there aren't the best. The rotations are over-crowded and unorganized. Now this is just what i've heard about a few of the core tracks. I know the rotation in Chicago and one in New York are fine. Ross has also gotten rid of many of the core track sites. I went to Ross because I wanted to do a rotation in the UK and they got rid of it and never told us. When students asked, they said it was because of visa issues. I have also heard stories of Ross dropping rotations at the last minute and students being thrown off by six weeks because of it. On the other hand, I haven't really heard anything bad about St. George's or AUC. If I were you, i'd stay with your current school.

Wow! Thank you guys for the insight. I appreciate the honest feedback. It seems it may not be worth the risk, the risk of looking bad to PD's as well as the risk of being in essentially the same type of situation. Thanks again.