Technology Considering an Alienware

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to treat myself and am considering an Alienware computer. What can I get that is comparable in power for around $1500? I have a monitor. I plan on some semi-serious gaming and for multimedia purposes (digital photography, music, etc).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anasazi23 said:
I've decided to treat myself and am considering an Alienware computer. What can I get that is comparable in power for around $1500? I have a monitor. I plan on some semi-serious gaming and for multimedia purposes (digital photography, music, etc).

Thanks!

Why not build a PC yourself? It really is not that difficult, and you will be able to get more out of that $1500.

I did that once and it was a huge pain in the ass. I still have the thing, it looks like some delapitated cyborg with wires and stuff hanging out of it from opening it so many times.

Is there a good step-by-step guide on the web?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so I spent a lot of time getting all the details of the Alienware Aurora 5500, configured the way I wanted it - It came to about $1437.00. That includes the overall 2 year warranty, alien respawn disk, and some small extras, with free shipping.

I compared all the identical parts on newegg.com to see how much I'd actually save if I did it all myself. With (almost) identical parts, the total came to about $1337. It has only the individual manufacturer's warranty, no recovery disk, no support, and takes lots of time and troubleshooting to get it right.

Is the $100 bucks worth it? I'm starting to think not.

Any advice?

Anasazi23 said:
OK, so I spent a lot of time getting all the details of the Alienware Aurora 5500, configured the way I wanted it - It came to about $1437.00. That includes the overall 2 year warranty, alien respawn disk, and some small extras, with free shipping.

I compared all the identical parts on newegg.com to see how much I'd actually save if I did it all myself. With (almost) identical parts, the total came to about $1337. It has only the individual manufacturer's warranty, no recovery disk, no support, and takes lots of time and troubleshooting to get it right.

Is the $100 bucks worth it? I'm starting to think not.

Any advice?

What were the specs exactly? Newegg usually has great prices, but they may not be the only store to consider. Look at www.slickdeals.net and/or www.fatwallet.com and look for great deals on hard drives, monitors, video cards, etc.