considering applying to osteopathic schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lit20

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first time to this thread, as I have spent most of my time looking around the pre-allopathic posts. But, as I have considered my goals in a medicine more closely, I think that the ideals of osteopathic medicine are more suited to my tastes. However, I have spent the past year and half out of college in research labs. If I want to apply to DO schools in June 2003, what sort of year-long jobs would you recommend to both continue my understanding of osteopathic medicine and show schools that I am interested and not just a lab rat. I am also very interested in complementary medicine, but have no training and am unsure what I could accomplish in a year.
Thanks for the help...

Members don't see this ad.

The best jobs might be some where you can actually interact with patients. These might be EMT, nurses aide, medical assistant in a doctors office, assistant in a path lab. I don't think it will matter much whether these are Osteopathic or Allopathic facilities. Its all the same anyway.

I agree in part with skypilot, but some schools want to be sure you understand what is different about osteopathic medicine. It would be good to shadow a few DOs in addition to any job. Doesn't have to entail tons of time.