Considering dental school..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a junior in college, up until this semester, I was pre med. I am considering switching to pre dental because of a life experience. In 2016 I was diagnosed with a tumor in my mandible and in the summer of 2017 I went through the process of getting my tumor removed and I am currently going through the process of reconstruction. While working with various oral surgeons and dentists, I developed an interest in dentistry.
I have shadowed 2 dental students but I haven't shadowed any general dentists. I have about 300 hours in a clinical setting (I was pre med for a long time). I am currently doing research and I have leadership experience with about 3 organizations on campus. I also volunteer in a hospital and in the community. And I will be going to Africa for a study abroad trip in the summer.
I have about a 3.4 gpa overall, I am not sure what my science GPA is.
My question is, do I have a shot of getting into dental school, it is something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. Would it look bad if I got all of my shadowing hours in one semester? I hope to get in all of my hours by the end of the winter semester 2018. Or do I take a gap year to shadow dentists or a master to boost my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3.4 oGPA is not bad at all. No need for a masters. Just do well on the DAT, shadow over 100 hours and apply.

Sent from my XT1575 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
^ What they said. Very happy to hear your treatment went well, the one positive outcome from it is that your answer to ‘Why dentistry?’ and personal statement will be unique and engaging. If your science GPA is above 3.3 you should be set alongside the above guidelines.

Glad things are getting better for you. I have a similar story in that i had found a spot of dysplasia on the side of my tongue and got it removed about 3 1/2 yrs ago..scared the crap out of me and propelled me into dentistry..just got accepted to two schools! Do well on dat and get some other sciences in before you apply to raise that science gpa if you need to and dont shy away from this in your personal statement, you will stand out but your academics must be there as well. Glad everything has worked out man!