Considering Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0CTORX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been shadowing a OMFS for a while. And for sometime he has been telling me to consider a career in dentistry, so I began shadowing an ortho. I really enjoyed my last few months there and figured that dentistry offers a great blend of science and lifestyle, better than that of medicine.

But my only concern is that I know Dentistry is competitive. I did 2 years at a community college, cumulative of 3.85. I've transferred and now am in a Mechanical Engineering program at a university. My GPA has taken a hit, I am sitting right at a 3.65 right now.

My questions are though:
-Does Admissions take into consideration, majors? I.E. some leniency to engineering gpas?
-What is considered competitive for admissions?
-Is a hard/overloaded courseload looked at positively? Meaning if you are someone who takes more classes than full time, and has other obligations, they take that into consideration?

And finally, what are the steps to becoming an orthodontist? I have done some research and I think its 4 year dental school, then 4 year residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Probably yes.
Google. (>3.5 GPA + 20 DAT should get you in somewhere)
Yes. Yes.
4-years undergrad + 3-years (generally has tuition and is unpaid) ortho residency

They look at overall GPA and science GPA. I think anything above a 3.5 and you will have a shot at most schools with a good DAT (20). They wont be like "since he was in engineering his GPA is better than it looks." Also I would suggest shadowing a general dentist as well.