Considering mail order pharmacy after graduation, how would I go about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Amphetamine Salts

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a P2 pharmacy student whose been interning at cvs for the past 1 and a half years. I'll most likely be here until graduation. After graduation I'm not sure if I'd want to work at cvs full time as a retail pharmacist. I'm strongly considering mail order pharmacy since I've read up on it and it seems like the type of job I'd enjoy. How would I go about securing a position as a mail order pharmacist? Does cvs hire pharmacists for a mail order position? Do I automatically get a rotation at a mail order pharmacy in my 6th year? If I were to apply for one of these jobs how difficult would it be to get accepted? Thanks
 
Anyone with mail order experience can weigh in on these issues? I'd rather avoid CVS after graduation if I can, it just doesn't seem like something I could enjoy doing for the long run
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I'd say you have two options...

1) Stay with CVS until you graduate and apply to jobs broadly. That way you can fall back on CVS if you don't have any other luck.

2) Try to get a job offer interning at a mail order with hopes of working there after graduation. Even if you don't get a job offer this experience might help you in applying to other mail orders.

I highly doubt CVS would give you the option of working at their mail order... I'm pretty sure you will get a retail offer and working at a CVS mail order would likely mean you have to move states. Another option similar (maybe better) than mail order is LTC. It's basically the same thing except the scripts are going to nursing homes and not the general public. I did a rotation at a LTC and it had to be the easiest job a pharmacist can have.
 
Well I'd say you have two options...

1) Stay with CVS until you graduate and apply to jobs broadly. That way you can fall back on CVS if you don't have any other luck.

2) Try to get a job offer interning at a mail order with hopes of working there after graduation. Even if you don't get a job offer this experience might help you in applying to other mail orders.

I highly doubt CVS would give you the option of working at their mail order... I'm pretty sure you will get a retail offer and working at a CVS mail order would likely mean you have to move states. Another option similar (maybe better) than mail order is LTC. It's basically the same thing except the scripts are going to nursing homes and not the general public. I did a rotation at a LTC and it had to be the easiest job a pharmacist can have.

Interesting, I've never heard of LTC, what does it stand for? I'm not sure how the rotations work but I assume I get to select which ones I want. Given the option I will definitely be selecting mail order and LTC in my rotations.

As for my options now I was thinking option 1 is my best bet. I will be applying to mail order jobs as a priority in hopes of getting one, I'm not sure if they'd hire me when I have no experience except for a possible rotation. Maybe if I perform well during the rotation I can go about speaking with my preceptor and management at the company to get hired there after graduation? I don't know what would happen, but I do know if I stay with CVS I will have this to fall back on in the event that I can't secure a mail order job.

As for option 2, if I leave CVS to try and get an intern position at a mail order I think that would put unnecessary stress on me. I recently got my preceptor approved to train me so I can start collecting intern hours so if I leave now I will have to go through the process again with a new preceptor. I think it would also hurt my chances of getting a job offer from CVS after graduation if I leave now.

What are the chances of a mail order pharmacy offering me a position after graduation when all the experience I have is doing a rotation at a mail order pharmacy?
 
i know a top notch PIC for cvs who tried to apply to mail order pharmacies and never got response back. i doubt they are hiring.
 
https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/home-delivery?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1

Option 1. I have a couple friends who work at the costco mail order in California. They all know each other and helped each other get there. The best option is to become friends with someone who works at a mail order and ask them to notify and recommend you when there is an opening. That is how the pharmacy world works. Option 2. Become friends with everyone in your class that are outgoing and going to get far. Then have those friends help you. I used my friends to get jobs in projects, mail order and independent, jobs that are all easy and high paying. Networking is the key my friend.
Option 3, have your parents ask around who have friends who are in high positions in pharmacy to hook you up.

I have seen all these things happen and no, I am not a troll. Just trying to help.
 
Option 2. Become friends with everyone in your class that are outgoing and going to get far. Then have those friends help you. I used my friends to get jobs in projects, mail order and independent, jobs that are all easy and high paying. Networking is the key my friend.
Could you elaborate on them getting far. And some of the things you did
 
I scheduled to meet with one of my professors to discuss some career options for me in the future, I believe she knows about mail order so I'll get more information by then