Considering MD/JD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some Background:
During the interview information session of a med school I recently got into, the admissions dean told us about the MD/JD program they had and I was intrigued. At the time, I didn't want to ask more about it because I wanted to present myself as 100% committed to the practice of medicine. However, I'm seriously considering applying to this program because I've been thinking that although I enjoy patient interaction now, I don't want to work with patients my ENTIRE life. I've looked at some past threads on MD/JD but they are all from 5+ years ago so I wanted to see if I can get some current opinions on this combined degree. It would take 6 years total for the MD+JD degrees and I know that it will cost more but part of the reason I'm seriously considering this option is that the med school gave me a pretty substantial scholarship so if I ended up doing the 6 year MD+JD, it would cost the same as a regular 4 year MD if I hadn't gotten the scholarship. Essentially, it would just be 2 more years of work and I'm only 19 right now so it would not delay my medical training that much anyways.

My Question:
What kind of jobs can MD/JD's get? I was thinking about positions within the FDA, NIH, other government agencies or positions in Pharm/insurance/biotech/etc companies. What other opportunities are there for MD/JDs?

Members don't see this ad.

Why pursue the JD if you don't even know what you can do with it? Sounds like you just like having MD JD at the end of your name

I literally cannot think of one reason that this is a good idea. Just...no.

If you don't want to work with patients your whole life there are lots of other options, all better. Get an MPH and do research. Get an MBA and go into administration. Do those things without another masters degree, that works too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some Background:
During the interview information session of a med school I recently got into, the admissions dean told us about the MD/JD program they had and I was intrigued. At the time, I didn't want to ask more about it because I wanted to present myself as 100% committed to the practice of medicine. However, I'm seriously considering applying to this program because I've been thinking that although I enjoy patient interaction now, I don't want to work with patients my ENTIRE life. I've looked at some past threads on MD/JD but they are all from 5+ years ago so I wanted to see if I can get some current opinions on this combined degree. It would take 6 years total for the MD+JD degrees and I know that it will cost more but part of the reason I'm seriously considering this option is that the med school gave me a pretty substantial scholarship so if I ended up doing the 6 year MD+JD, it would cost the same as a regular 4 year MD if I hadn't gotten the scholarship. Essentially, it would just be 2 more years of work and I'm only 19 right now so it would not delay my medical training that much anyways.

My Question:
What kind of jobs can MD/JD's get? I was thinking about positions within the FDA, NIH, other government agencies or positions in Pharm/insurance/biotech/etc companies. What other opportunities are there for MD/JDs?

These jobs don't require a JD.

Last edited:
There are VERY few jobs where this degree combination would be necessary. It just seems like a way for schools to squeeze more money out of students.

Don't get a JD unless you really want to be a lawyer. If you do, there are some big firms that have JD/MD's or JD/PhD's who work with clients in pharmaceuticals, biotech, hospitals etc. They do very well, but you're not in this for financial reasons are you?

There are VERY few jobs where this degree combination would be necessary. It just seems like a way for schools to squeeze more money out of students.

I would go so far as to say there are NO jobs where the combination is necessary and extremely few where it poses any advantage at all.

I'd actually be very curious if anyone can find a job where a JD and MD are both absolute requirements based on the job tasks.

I know of an MD/JD that practiced medicine half the time and did medical malpractice cases against MDs the other half of the time. Everyone hated him...

Reactions: 5 users
Some Background:

My Question:

MD/JDs can do patent processing for medical tech companies. Those other jobs have nothing to do with needing a JD.

And you know that you aren't guaranteed admission to the JD program? Have you taken the LSAT?

I'm curious whether your trolling. A 19 year old has a substantial med school scholly?

I know of an MD/JD that practiced medicine half the time and did medical malpractice cases against MDs the other half of the time. Everyone hated him...

lol against MDs? That seems counterproductive to what I would assume would be the main point of getting an MD/JD (if there is one) would be to advocate for doctors as a medical malpractice lawyer. Weird.

The former director of the FDA was a MD/JD. It's not necessary to have both degrees for a lot of those positions but having both will most likely set me apart from other candidates. I know it's usually not worth the time and money but I got a scholarship to the med school so it will end up costing about the same. I haven't taken the LSAT but I did very well on the MCAT and I consider myself a great standardized test taker so I'm sure it won't be a problem, especially since I apply to the law school in the 2nd year of med school and take the LSAT before USMLE Step 1. I'm 19 because I skipped a year in elementary school. I realize that I'm young but I have excellent numbers, research, volunteering, and letters, resulting in a plethora of interviews but many waitlists (probably because of my age). I've only been accepted to a few medical schools considering how many I've interviewed at and fortunately, I was granted a scholarship at one of them.

If I was 19 and md/jd cost the same as just md, I would do it. I would never want to practice law, but I do find our legal system interesting. Not everything you study has to be to pump your career.

Reactions: 1 users
My PI has an MD, a JD, and an MPH. She makes ALL of us look like underachievers :laugh:

She works in health services policy at a major US university (partnering with multiple public health organizations) - she's on all kinds of national boards and advisory committees. When she's trying to obtain funding or start a new project, she says the MD gets her foot in the door and the JD helps her evaluate and advocate for the issues.

And - in case you were interested - she has a VERY nice house in a very expensive part of town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man that sounds so awkward. Not only are you (potentially) pitting yourself against colleagues, you can also seriously grill someone on the stand. It's like the ultimate pimping session.

Reactions: 1 user
Some Background:

My Question:

There are many benefits to getting a JD if you are interested in health care law, policy, executive medicine, etc.

Considering the current situation of the United States with respect to the health care system and reform, it should be indubitably apparent to all prospective medical students why being dually degreed in medicine and law may be worthwhile. The legal system and medicine intersect in a big and relevant way.

Because of unfamiliarity, many folks may have a hard time drawing the connection between law and medicine, whereas the connection between PhD (which I have) and MD may be more clear, because of the precedence of undergraduate degrees in the biological sciences. But make no mistake, a JD is equally relevant.

I am immensely interested in health care law, health care policy and executive medicine. I too have considered the JD option (which would be free for me), but as a 31 year-old with a PhD, I am unlikely to pursue it because I'd rather start a family with my beautiful wife.

Good luck with your choice and remember that 2 more years is nothin'.

I'm curious whether your trolling. A 19 year old has a substantial med school scholly?
I know right. At 19 applying for medical school and he hasn't reply back to his thread.

Talk with people that have gotten MD/JD degrees. Not people on the internet, actual people. I really think for the majority of people MD/JD is just a money maker for the school and any job you get you could get with either an MD or a JD and sadly most schools aren't above selling this type of thing knowingly. If you're the type that eventually wants to get into public policy or academic administration or something along those lines maybe it could help. I just know that degrees aren't the only way to learn things and this becomes much more apparent after you leave school (I'm a non-trad med student), if you want a JD because you think it will help you start a private practice or something you're better off just learning the knowledge practically. Anywho, you seem like you are going to achieve something pretty cool someday.

Additionally, typically speaking, only JDs from a certain tier school are respected. Otherwise they are just letters after your name that add little to no value. It may not matter for a MD/JD however.

I feel like almost any job that requires the MD you could do with a much easier degree than a JD, and any JD focused job certainly wouldn't need an MD... so not sure what the ROI is on this.

it's for the prestige factor and the chicks. why else would you want an MD/JD?

But in all honesty, I think this would be something cool to have. I have family members who are lawyers and maybe I'd be able to do something within their firms on the side while I practice medicine? possibly also useful for the business aspect of medicine. would definitely be cool to have, but I don't think I'd waste extra years and money to obtain it when clinical medicine is all I really want. think about your actual career goals and then decide.

it's for the prestige factor and the chicks. why else would you want an MD/JD?

Maybe he wants to practice both. There are people that have extensive knowledge of both and enjoy both, and who would like to practice both. If it makes him happy and he's interested, I say go for it.

the only MD/JD i know are the ones that hated med school and went to law school... or hated law school and went to med school lol.

i dont really see how you can use both degrees to its fullest extent while justifying the cost/years of schooling....

Additionally, typically speaking, only JDs from a certain tier school are respected. Otherwise they are just letters after your name that add little to no value. It may not matter for a MD/JD however.
Was just gonna chime in with this. :highfive: T20 or bust for MBA/JD

Email Bill Sage at UT Austin. He's a great resource and loves helping out with MD/JD issues as he is one himself. He's a god in the medical malpractice research field, and pretty open to random emails on this topic.

Was just gonna chime in with this. :highfive: T20 or bust for MBA/JD

No. At a minimum T14 (a la Georgetown), but probably should HYSCCN or bust. Example of T20 not to go to: George Washington.

OP, if you truly are 19 and truly did have an interview at a legitimate med school, then kudos to you. MD/JD is not a good avenue to approach, and by your enthusiasm for it I assume that you haven't been exposed to the REAL world of law. Jobs are few and far between, and those to do have decent job chances are those coming from ~T7. Firms that do have openings are usually going to auto-filter you if you aren't coming from the top schools; even if by some random chance you do get in to an AmLaw250, you're not going to know how to practice & it will take a long time to get you to the point where you're operating on your own. LSAT only teaches you how to approach problems for that exam (if you want to be analytical in that regard, just do logic games/logic reasoning as a hobby).

It's perfectly reasonable for someone to switch careers if they've become disillusioned after entering said career, but you're not at that point. Med School will have an opportunity cost, physical cost & emotional cost; the same is applicable to law school, but the return on law school is dimmer. If your best self is in med, then go with med; if its in law, go with law. Choosing both when their outcomes are a stark contrast will only handicap you.

No. At a minimum T14 (a la Georgetown), but probably should HYSCCN or bust. Example of T20 not to go to: George Washington.
Oops I meant T10.* damn iPad.