Considering OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattyboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so glad I found this forum!

I just started my master's program, in social work and I have lost an interest in this field and am considering OT. I looked into a program at the same school that I attend and I am considering applying. I have also done some research about the field and I am even more excited about going into it.

I have a bachelor's of arts in psychology and I still need to take some pre-reqs (i.e. chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology). I haven't taken any of these kinds of courses yet so this is going to be kind of new to me. I am little nervous about the switch because it is going to be a big change and take me another 4 years to obtain (im 23yrs old). I don’t have a lot of experience in the field except for my work with college students with disabilities (where I work).

Can any OTs, students etc give me some advice???? From what I heard this is a good field to go into but I want to know from any of you what your thoughts are. Are the courses extremely hard for someone who isn’t particularly strong with those kinds of sciences?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started my master's program, in social work and I have lost an interest in this field and am considering OT. I looked into a program at the same school that I attend and I am considering applying. I have also done some research about the field and I am even more excited about going into it.

I have a bachelor's of arts in psychology and I still need to take some pre-reqs (i.e. chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology). I haven't taken any of these kinds of courses yet so this is going to be kind of new to me. I am little nervous about the switch because it is going to be a big change and take me another 4 years to obtain (im 23yrs old). I don’t have a lot of experience in the field except for my work with college students with disabilities (where I work).

Can any OTs, students etc give me some advice???? From what I heard this is a good field to go into but I want to know from any of you what your thoughts are. Are the courses extremely hard for someone who isn’t particularly strong with those kinds of sciences?

Hi,

Your best source of what the field is like and if its something your going to fit into would be to shadow and volunteer under an occupational therapist. I would recommend you work under various settings to get the bigger picture. It would not only give you an opportunity to explore the different settings, but it would also give you a chance to ask questions and be mentored by individuals actually working in the field.

I agree with kp24, get some observing/shadowing in under your belt to feel it out. OT is pretty cool and you can definitely work in a variety of settings. Observing will serve you well anyways since nearly all schools require some hours observing in order to apply.
I understand where you are coming from as I also did psych as my undergrad and looked into social work. OT isn't always right in front of our faces... I wish I had learned more about the profession much sooner than at my age which is older than 23. :)

You mentioned that you just started your masters in SW? Does your university offer OT? I definitely suggest speaking to someone in the SW program you are already in about your interest in OT and your lack of interest in SW. Also check in with any OT programs you are finding interesting. These fields often overlap and you may discover that your current program can gear you in the right direction to blend your interests.
This is just a suggestion b/c most OT applicants would already LOVE to be in a program and I know a lot of people 2nd guess their field of choice when they begin a program. I sincerely hope the advisors you already have in your masters program would be willing to help you out with your interest in OT.

Are the pre-req science courses hard? Depends on where you take them. Every school I have spoken to suggests (not requires) a B + or higher on their pre-reqs in order to feel confident in their OT program courses.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just discovered it too! Which is Awesome! I completely agree with the above posts. I'm a first year OT student and I think observing OTs in a variety of setting would be one of the best places to start. I think by focusing on the big picture and talking to practicing OTs, you'd then be able to apply that to help you decide what you want to do in the future. They’ll be able to give you the most accurate& valuable advice on what it’s like working in the field.

I second that I personally think you’ll learn a great deal more from talking with an advisor, especially with the pre-reqs. If you have any OT programs in mind, you could sit with them or call them and discuss your background, questions and desires on learning more about their OT program.

It also sounds like your background in psychology and social work could be an asset. I know I have a psychosocial class coming up and you might find that your more in-depth knowledge of psychology would be of great use.Another plus side is you’re in a master’s program so I’m sure you already know what it takes to do well in school overall. You’re young, I had the same thoughts at first but I think taking out a few years now to spend the next couple of decades of my life doing something I love is well worth the trade.
My Bachelors was in Kinesiology, so I did find that a lot of the science topics and info. with A&P,physics w/ biomechanics, human growth/development would repetitiously come up throughout my classes so far. I am only in the first semester but it seems like many of the classes builds upon each other. So acing those will help you avoid potential frustration later on. Best to you! :luck:

Wow! Thank you all so much for the info and support. I have been contacting a few places to start my shadowing and to get more information. I am pretty excited and I am looking forward to this change... THANKS AGAIN!!!!! ;-)

I agree with kp24, get some observing/shadowing in under your belt to feel it out. OT is pretty cool and you can definitely work in a variety of settings. Observing will serve you well anyways since nearly all schools require some hours observing in order to apply.
I understand where you are coming from as I also did psych as my undergrad and looked into social work. OT isn't always right in front of our faces... I wish I had learned more about the profession much sooner than at my age which is older than 23. :)

You mentioned that you just started your masters in SW? Does your university offer OT? I definitely suggest speaking to someone in the SW program you are already in about your interest in OT and your lack of interest in SW. Also check in with any OT programs you are finding interesting. These fields often overlap and you may discover that your current program can gear you in the right direction to blend your interests.
This is just a suggestion b/c most OT applicants would already LOVE to be in a program and I know a lot of people 2nd guess their field of choice when they begin a program. I sincerely hope the advisors you already have in your masters program would be willing to help you out with your interest in OT.

Are the pre-req science courses hard? Depends on where you take them. Every school I have spoken to suggests (not requires) a B + or higher on their pre-reqs in order to feel confident in their OT program courses.

Yes! Actually my current school does have an OT program and the department is located in the same building as my current classes. I am going to go in early one day this week and speak with someone there. I called also and spoke with someone last week. Also, I will speak with my advisor about about and see about the overlap. Thank you very much! I really appreciate it...