Considering PhD also, Schools in Illinois_Nontrad with 3.86 GPAc & 32Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfPast6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a nontrad working a full time job & have a daughter
I have a 3.86 cum GPA, with 3.75 science GPA
Double major in Psyc & Bio w/ neuroscience minor in undergraduate
Graduated with honors in psych program
Have combined 6 years in research, including 3 yrs in undergrad & 3 years in neuroimaging research as a lab manager (involved with experimental setup, coordination, data analyses-->manuscript editing, presented at conference)
2 year working in healthcare as a phlebotomist
plenty of extracurriculars (community involvement) & shadowing experiences with doctors

It would be great if I could get into MD/PhD program but really I want my chances in getting into a medical school in Chicago as high as possible. One can do research without getting into a MD/PhD program anyway and I've read on the forum that some students drop out anyway.

Do I have a good shot at MD/PhD? I know they're extremely competitive and I'm not sure if my qualifications make me a competitive enough candidate.

Should I just apply plain MD to up my chances of getting into medical school?

I'm also applying to DO schools also. DO/PhD likely?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be competitive for MD/PhD even with that "low" MCAT. The key is showing dedication to research which you have. Your GPA is great, so give a shot, who knows.

The Physician Scientist Forum has an excellent sticky discussing Chances for MD/PhD: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10563823

There are likely to be less-selective, less well-known, and smaller programs out there that won't be so picky. You might search out programs where your application would automatically enter the MD-only pool if the PhD program rejects you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank Notbob for your encouragement. I hope that I can elaborate this on secondaries & interviews. @ Catalystik, I checked out that sticky and have been reading a bunch of threads in that forum. Seems like I have been able to weed more information from SDN than I ever did with my pre-health committee.

At first I was considering one D.O school because I was afraid that my MCAT score would set me back. However, I was told that my current stats right now could guarantee me admission for an allopathic school (i'm not picky.) It is unwise to drop the D.O pursuit for financial & time management reasons?

If staying in Illinois is essential to your happiness, then include CCOM (which does not have a DO/PhD option last I looked). If get a XX/PhD is essential to your happiness, I suggest including a number of the six DO institutions that grant one. If you plan to apply broadly, don't care about the PhD part, or staying in Illinois, then since your chances for MD are pretty good (but not guaranteed, even with an MCAT of 40) you might decide to save the money earmarked for using a second application service.

Take a look at the odds historically associated with your stats, and see if your chances are good enough not to hedge your bets: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650

The most important thing is that I stay in Illinois, so I'll take your advice on applying DO also. Many thanks!