Considering Podiatry, just a few general questions first

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. One of you fine folks posted the 4 year graduation rates on here, and it really concerned me. The very best was DMU at just 87%, Western was the lowest at 66%. Is this because the students were just unprepared or were these students on the lower end of the required GPA/MCAT requirements to begin with?

2. Just like medical school, are the first 2 years classroom based and the final two years clinical rotations?

3. There was some talk about a residency shortage on these forums a few years back. Is that still going to be a problem in 2021, when I will be applying for residencies?

4. What are the residency match rates by school?

5. What kinds of residencies can students apply to?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

1) attrition is a tricky subject. There are so many reasons for people leaving that don't involve grades: health, family, and other situations. Some people leave because they just find out it's not for them. I would ask each individual school what the circumstances for the people leaving were.

MD schools do have attrition rates too. Not to the degree of DPM school, but there are extinuating circumstances all around.

However, some pod schools are notorious for letting people in with subpar GPAs and MCAT scores. At this point then yes, anyone who has yet to have a "academic enlightenment" is in for a rude awakening come pod school time.

2) more or less. Some schools spice up 2nd year with clinical days. It's all dependent on the school but for the most part this is the trend.

3) currently, there are a few more residencies than there are graduates. However, there was a "backlog" of students from the shortage. This backlog gets shorter each year, and should be completely taken care of by the time we graduate in 2021. I have a feeling that the number of graduates will never again exceed the number of residencies. This whole debacle is a big black mark on the profession, and a slip up like this could end it for good.

4) this can be found on each school website.

5) from my understanding, u apply to podiatry residencies that have different "focuses" like one program does more total ankle replacements, orthers focus more on forefoot, some on procedures, etc.

1. One of you fine folks posted the 4 year graduation rates on here, and it really concerned me. The very best was DMU at just 87%, Western was the lowest at 66%. Is this because the students were just unprepared or were these students on the lower end of the required GPA/MCAT requirements to begin with?

2. Just like medical school, are the first 2 years classroom based and the final two years clinical rotations?

3. There was some talk about a residency shortage on these forums a few years back. Is that still going to be a problem in 2021, when I will be applying for residencies?

4. What are the residency match rates by school?

5. What kinds of residencies can students apply to?

Thanks so much!
Graduation Rate
For reference, the MD 4 year graduation rate is only 1-2% higher on average.
https://www.aamc.org/download/37922...onratesandattritionfactorsforusmedschools.pdf

First Two Years

First two years are primarily classroom based, with some schools having early clinical exposure within those first two years, and a small amount of classes spilling over into the beginning of third year. The last two years are primarily clinical.

Residency Shortage

The overall residency placement rate for the class of 2016 was 97.8%, higher than the MD and DO overall residency placement rates for new graduates that cycle.
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/PlacementUpdate.pdf

Residency Match Rates by School

I don't know. Not looking it up. But with an overall 98% match rate, does it really matter what the specific match rate is for each school? Probably not. Also, whatever stats you may find on that are probably multiple years old which is surprisingly out of date since the residency situation has improved drastically over a relatively short period of time.

Residency Types

Uhm...podiatry residencies. Most are a podiatric medicine and surgery residency (PMSR) including reconstructive rearfoot and ankle surgery. Some are PMSR only, without the added RRA, meaning you could only get certified in foot surgery if you completed that residency. Though being certified in foot surgery means you can still surgically treat the entire foot (including rearfoot) and treat the ankle as well. Here's a list of residencies, you can click on a few and read more about them, see what they pay, the kinds of rotations they involve, etc.
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp
P.S., the quality of residencies varies drastically. I heard a residency/fellowship director say that he had to turn down some fellowship applicants because his 2nd year residents had done many more cases than some people applying for fellowship positions—people who had already finished their residencies. Essentially, he wouldn't take them on because his residents would have more experience than the person doing the fellowship...so how could that person be in a position above the residents. I suppose that's more a case of quantity rather than quality, but I think it makes the point that there is great variance in training even though all the programs are the same on paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users