Considering podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlacey2323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a prehealth undergrad thinking about several health science grad programs including dentistry, opto, PT, audiology, etc. What is the best way for me to get a feel of what life as a practicing podiatrist is like? Thanks for any help you guys give me!

Members don't see this ad.

The BEST way would be to shadow a podiatrist in your area. That way you can see their daily routine, patient load, and see exactly what it is that a podiatrist does.

The BEST way would be to shadow a podiatrist in your area. That way you can see their daily routine, patient load, and see exactly what it is that a podiatrist does.
How do i go about asking a podiatrist to shadow them?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do i go about asking a podiatrist to shadow them?
Just call and ask. You'll more than likely talk to a nurse/receptionist, and they will end up asking the doctor if you're able to shadow.

I went in person to a few podiatrists to try to make a good impression. I took my CV which had my work experience and GPA and whatnot. I was completely stonewalled by the front office staff of the first two, but the third podiatrist spoke to me himself and immediately agreed. He was a great mentor. I guess what I'm saying is don't be discouraged if you get turned down a few times. Some doctors just aren't down with shadowing. You'll eventually find one who is.

Also, you can try contacting NYCPM. They'll help get you in touch with one of their alumni who would be willing to let you shadow. I've seen it somewhere in their advertising materials.

Also, you can try contacting NYCPM. They'll help get you in touch with one of their alumni who would be willing to let you shadow. I've seen it somewhere in their advertising materials.
I'll do that. THanks so much!

I live in a southern state so will it still work if I contact NYCPM? Should i contact a podiatry school closer to me?

NYCPM says like 20-25% of all podiatry graduates are from NYCPM so yes, it should work. Since there are only 9 schools and Arizona has only been around a couple of years most states have podiatrists that went to school in other states

This is incredible. I was able to just choose Georgia and find some podiatrists to contact. Really an incredible resource. Would recommend to anyone else out there looking for shadowing opportunities.

Beware. Months ago I used that link to contact pods and got zero responses. I contacted AACPM and they said most of those are out of date and they are actually considering getting rid of the mentor program. They then gave me better/more updated email hook ups which worked out. So if you don't get responses I'd just email/call AACPM. Good luck!

Beware. Months ago I used that link to contact pods and got zero responses. I contacted AACPM and they said most of those are out of date and they are actually considering getting rid of the mentor program. They then gave me better/more updated email hook ups which worked out. So if you don't get responses I'd just email/call AACPM. Good luck!
In that case I would contact AACPM or NYCPM directly.

In that case I would contact AACPM or NYCPM directly.
Thanks for your help. ENded up cold calling but it worked out. My third call yielded a great opportunity and I think that podiatry might be right for me. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user