Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Considering podiatry

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by tlacey2323, Aug 6, 2015.

1. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    I'm a prehealth undergrad thinking about several health science grad programs including dentistry, opto, PT, audiology, etc. What is the best way for me to get a feel of what life as a practicing podiatrist is like? Thanks for any help you guys give me!

2. bobtheweazel

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    The BEST way would be to shadow a podiatrist in your area. That way you can see their daily routine, patient load, and see exactly what it is that a podiatrist does.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    How do i go about asking a podiatrist to shadow them?

4. LukeCollinss

Just call and ask. You'll more than likely talk to a nurse/receptionist, and they will end up asking the doctor if you're able to shadow.

5. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    SOunds great. THanks!

6. bobtheweazel

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I went in person to a few podiatrists to try to make a good impression. I took my CV which had my work experience and GPA and whatnot. I was completely stonewalled by the front office staff of the first two, but the third podiatrist spoke to me himself and immediately agreed. He was a great mentor. I guess what I'm saying is don't be discouraged if you get turned down a few times. Some doctors just aren't down with shadowing. You'll eventually find one who is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bobtheweazel

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Also, you can try contacting NYCPM. They'll help get you in touch with one of their alumni who would be willing to let you shadow. I've seen it somewhere in their advertising materials.

8. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    I'll do that. THanks so much!

9. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    I live in a southern state so will it still work if I contact NYCPM? Should i contact a podiatry school closer to me?

10. bobtheweazel

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    NYCPM says like 20-25% of all podiatry graduates are from NYCPM so yes, it should work. Since there are only 9 schools and Arizona has only been around a couple of years most states have podiatrists that went to school in other states

11. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    Oh okay. Thanks!

12. heybrother

Podiatrist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bobtheweazel likes this.
  13. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    This is incredible. I was able to just choose Georgia and find some podiatrists to contact. Really an incredible resource. Would recommend to anyone else out there looking for shadowing opportunities.

bobtheweazel likes this.
  14. Sweatshirt

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Beware. Months ago I used that link to contact pods and got zero responses. I contacted AACPM and they said most of those are out of date and they are actually considering getting rid of the mentor program. They then gave me better/more updated email hook ups which worked out. So if you don't get responses I'd just email/call AACPM. Good luck!

15. bobtheweazel

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    In that case I would contact AACPM or NYCPM directly.

16. tlacey2323

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks for your help. ENded up cold calling but it worked out. My third call yielded a great opportunity and I think that podiatry might be right for me. Thanks again!

bobtheweazel likes this.