Considering SMP/Postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinnitusofsilence

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the 2nd sem. of jr. year of undergrad as a dual degree in Bio and Spanish (minor in Anthropology), so when I finish, I will have ~160cr. I really struggled adjusting my first 2 years and really just couldn't get into a good rhythm. I currently have a fairly low cGPA (3.25) and a horrific sGPA (2.5), and I am well aware that this is not at all acceptable for MD/DO schools, so I have recently begun looking at Postbaccs and SMPs. My grades have taken a slight upward trend this semester, and I have 'buckled down' on studying and focusing more. My last 2 semesters will be upper level science courses, as well as upper level anthro classes (boost cGPA, but not sGPA), however because of the amount of science credits I have taken, it is difficult to raise my sGPA. I'm estimating my final GPAs to be ~3.4 cGPA and ~2.7 sGPA. I haven't taken the MCAT, but based on practice tests, I am looking at ~504. I guess my questions are: Do I have a shot at any of these programs with such a low sGPA? Is it even worth it for me to do one of these programs with such a low sGPA? If so, which would be better for me, Post Bacc or SMP (and which schools)?
(I'm brand new to SDN, so I apologize that this is so long or if I put this in the wrong group!)

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Goro.

I was a similar situation to you:
-Multiple attempts (3) at the MCAT, both old (33S and 36) and one new (514).
-Undergraduate sGPA was around 2.5-2.6. My overall uGPA around 2.62 (my major was chemistry (oops) at a Top 10 university.

After one and a half-years at a general sciences DIY post-bac at a local, respected public school, this increased my cum uGPA to a 2.9 (cum sGPA was perhaps 2.7ish (I can get hard numbers if you'd like).
Along with two years of (behavioral neuroscience, not even my major) research concomitant with the post-bacc, followed by 2.5 years of ER/outpatient ortho/urgent care scribe work with promotions to group leader with more responsibility. Up until this point, I had already applied twice: once in 2013 cycle t0 ~30 MD schools (would not recommend this strategy), and once to a handful of DO schools (2015 cycle), without an interview.

I then got accepted to a well-known SMP (Georgetown's MS in Physiology) last year (2016-2017). They offered two pieces of advice:
1) Shore up your volunteering experience, especially to the underserved.
2) Change the demeanor of your personal statement from negative to positive.

Thinking the SMP was my last shot at redemption, I devoted a ton of energy to the program. My GPA in their medical school and upper-level graduate school courses has been a B+ average so far, still with classes to go. That's not super but it's an upward trend with the possibility for letters of recommendation, two upcoming opportunities for minor publishable research papers, and some medical research/clinical opportunities at Georgetown. They emphasize the process of acceptance into a med school from their SMP is a two-year process. Don't dismiss this as an administrative nicety: I have met many alumni from the program and others who can attest that the Georgetown's SMP was their stepping stone to getting into med school.

N.b.
Georgetown SMP officially states their minimum GPA is a 3.0. This number is NOT in anyway a hard cut off. I've met other current students with similar past stories, GPAs in the mid 2.0s (in science and cum GPAs, from a variety of schools and majors). Some have flourished in the program because they treat the program like a job, perfect their study skills, and never give up.

While I can't guarantee success, EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE. If you have a cumulative 2.5 uGPA or sGPA, do not think that precludes you from certain programs. Get involved with the admissions office, and if they give you the "this is our policy, sorry" answer, then you can move on to the next program. A few will look past this and may accept you and that's all you need. And regardless of "prestige," your hard work and ambition will be the fuel to your upward path.

Direct message me if you want some more information, anecdotes, and advice.

Reactions: 1 user