considering switching into Rads from IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I wanted to get your opinion. Im interested in switching into Radiology or Anesthesia and away from medicine. First of all, I realize that lifestyle is the most important thing to me. Both, Radiology and Anesthesia have better lifestyles and both interest me, but I feel radiology would still give me the intellectual stimulation that Anesthesia would lack. I wanted to get everyone's opinion about why you all went into Rads over Anesthesia.
Also, what do I need to do to switch into a Rads program if I decide that path. Im an intern at a very strong and competitive IM program. I can get 1 Rads letter, but the rest will come from IM. I was not AOA of my medical school and have mediocre Boards scores. Ive done research and published, but its not in the field of Radiology. How competitive am I realistically? Does anyone know any programs with open spots PGY2 starting next year in Radiology? Any help is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Really, one can't generalize about the two. Most importantly, both are on the ROAD (Rads, optho, Anes, Derm) to happiness. Which lane you like to drive on the ROAD depends on you.

I like Radiology personally. But that is because I think patient contact is a waste of my time and brain power, to be blunt. I'd rather be solving problems with colleagues than feigning sympathy for head and tummy aches. I never did get much of a kick out of the doctor/patient relationship and I always felt out of place when people would proclaim how beautiful it is.

GAS is good, too. There is some minimal patient contact. It is a more physiologically based specialty than radiology which is more anatomical/pathological. But, for me there was a little too much down time. And having to put up with surgeons in their own kingdom (or so they assume) was another downside.

Regardless, either beats IM by a long shot especially for lifestyle. Apply to both and take what you can get.