Schemp

drawing infinity
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Seattle
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have an unusual personal history compared to many pre-meds, so I'll lay it out and you can tell me what you think about me bothering to even submit my applications this year.

I have worked since I was 15, consistently, with maybe two 2 month gaps of unemployment during that time.

I did Running Start for junior and senior year of high school. I was mostly a straight A student up until that point, but ultimately spent 3 years at the community college, didn't even get an associates degree, and had about a 2.0 GPA.

I took a three year break, worked at UPS as a loader/unloader/sorter, then a pretty hectic supervisory job. Then I quit cause I didn't feel like there was anything else to learn there and didn't want to get stuck there as a career. I worked as a cable technician for Comcast for another year and a half, and then finally decided to go back to school.

I did 5 quarters at a community college, got about a 3.8, got my associate's degree, and transferred to University of Washington. I got a 3.55 overall this year (junior year), but it would have been much higher if not for a 2.4 in organic chemistry during Winter quarter. I got a 3.84 this last quarter though, and have not been taking slacker courses by any means.

During that year at UW I worked in a lab for my organic chemistry professor, and was fortunate enough to be published in Science as a coauthor.

Other than that, my ECs aren't great other than my work history. I started volunteering for a student run organization that helps local high school students get into college (ours or others, doesn't matter), and only began volunteering at a hospital in April or so.

So, my grades are good enough I think, and my personal history shows a great deal of maturation, but my ECs are really poor. This is mostly due to a need to work, since I've had no financial assistance from my parents, but admittedly I could have done more. I assume I can get at least a 33 on the MCAT, which I take Aug 5, but I can't guarantee that. I think I COULD do much better if I got lucky, but again, it's so hard to estimate your actual score. If I WERE to get a 33, do you think that would be sufficient to apply to some decent schools, or would I be better served improving my ECs (and hopefully my GPA) and applying to some higher-level schools?

I'm kind of at a crossroads here, decisions decisions...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads