Consolidate now or continue w/ current loan payments

Started by NNEKA72083
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NNEKA72083

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I'm having a hard time trying to make a decision regarding my current student loans. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I currently have a consolidated Federal Stafford loan: (balance) unsubsidized - $10,000 and subsidized - $6,000 w/ 5.25% interest and the monthly payment is $150. I also have a Federal Stafford loan: (balance) unsubsidized - $12,000 and subsidized $ 8,000 w/ 6.8% interest and the monthly payment is $244. I don't if I should just continue making the monthly payments or if I should consolidate with Direct Loans. If I do consolidate, the monthly payments would be $260 for 20 years with a 6.1 % interest rate. I plan on taking out more loans for medical school, 4 years from now could I consolidate again if I consolidate the current loans I have now for an even lower interest rate? 😕

I also have a question about consolidation, do companies offer different interest rates or do they all take the weighted avg of interest and the current balance on the loans to come up with a new interest rate?
 
when I consolidated, the federal program just took the weighted average of all loans.

I can't think of a benefit to consolidating now; you can defer all student loans while in med school. There is a new federal program starting July 1st 2009 that may be a bit better called IBR, I'd suggest checking this out; sounds a little better than the current consolidation programs, at least on the repayment side.

The benefit to NOT consolidating, if you're starting med school fairly soon & don't have too many more payments until starting the deferral, is that after completing training you can pay down the higher interest loans first.