Constructive Service Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noneofyourbusiness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I looked into the regulations and constructed my own table of what I believe my entering rank credit will be under my current plan (still in med school), but I was hoping someone with more knowledge/experience in the matter can check it over.

So if I'm right, I'd come out of a 3yr residency with 12 years 8 months credit (practice and fellow time included in table just to check my options/math) and Major would be right around the corner at 14 years of credit?

Thanks!

Credit Time Earned
AD Officer 7y4m 3y8m
MPH 2y 2y
MBA 2y 0y
Reserves 6y 0y
DO 4y 4y
Intern 1y 1y
Resident 2y 2y
Fellow 1y 1y
Practice 1y 6m
Total 14y2m
Major at 14y

Members don't see this ad.

Some of your conclusions look off, starting with fact that we typically pin on O-4 at six years from our medical corps entry date. So I'm not sure where this 14 year number is coming from. Also, getting constructive credit for an MPH is not a given. Lastly, it's not clear to me what your path is here. Did you do HPSP? Are you still in a reserve unit? Did you completely resign your prior commission and are looking to be a direct accession? These answers will factor in.

Hi all. I looked into the regulations and constructed my own table of what I believe my entering rank credit will be under my current plan (still in med school), but I was hoping someone with more knowledge/experience in the matter can check it over.

So if I'm right, I'd come out of a 3yr residency with 12 years 8 months credit (practice and fellow time included in table just to check my options/math) and Major would be right around the corner at 14 years of credit?

Thanks!

Credit Time Earned
AD Officer 7y4m 3y8m
MPH 2y 2y
MBA 2y 0y
Reserves 6y 0y
DO 4y 4y
Intern 1y 1y
Resident 2y 2y
Fellow 1y 1y
Practice 1y 6m
Total 14y2m
Major at 14y

My impression was that it takes a lot of legal wrangling to get credit for the MPH, and they don't give credit for MBAs. I could be wrong, though.

Also did you do your residency/fellowship in the military or in the civilian community? If its the community I think the best you can get is 1/2 time credit. Again, though, I'm not sure about any of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I pulled it all out of Ch3 AR 135-101 (15 Mar 84). There isn’t a more recent one in APD and several regulations from a couple years ago referenced this as well. If anyone has a more recent memo or policy letter from HRC or OTSG superseding this, please let me know because there is nothing more official I found.

I am an MSC officer still in med school and a drilling reserve unit using my GI Bill. My last AD job was at OTSG so I know they operate off “it’s always been this way” or “I think this is how it works (or should) so I’ll assume it until I’m stopped” but they are hard pressed to go against black and white regulations argued smartly. I’m happy to fight that battle once I get the cards lined up starting here. I’m leaning towards going back in after residency but I’m free to choose not. Just weighing my situation. If I stay out, I’ll probably just resign the Reserve MSC commission and recommission MC Reserve.

I understand it’s recently been 6 years between ranks. That also has the 4 years of med school factored in (why you graduate as a CPT) so that’s 10 years credit right there. The only difference I can imagine is you are promoted at 10 but you only come in at MAJ if you have 14 credited, but that’s why I’d like to hear from someone who knows and the vagaries between.

Tracking MBA nothing. Says 0y earned. Not sure about reserve time either (I put 0y but could be worth something if even a little). Could be other omissions/misunderstandings. Looking for facts.

Thanks again.

not sure if my answer will help:

i did HPSP, then residency in the civ world prior to AD. When I entered I was an O-3 with 4 years service (so ready to promote at year 5). However none of those years in the civ world count towards retirement- just pay and promotions.

You should get half-time for your prior active-duty service. Next, you should in theory receive two years for your MPH. The time spent in residency as well as in practice counts on a one-for-one basis. By my count, you should put on major during residency.

I'm not sure how the other services do it, but my Navy personnel record has a calculation of the exact breakdown of my prior service credit when I came on Active Duty. All time spent on active duty counts. Medschool doesn't count, but the time in OIS/ODS counts as does your annual 45 day active duty tours for HPSP. Time as a drilling reservist/guardsman does not count unless you were called up to active duty; then the time spent on active duty would be added.

Constructive credit for advanced degrees only counts if (a) they are in a health related field and (b) Uncle Sam didn't pay for them.

Time spent in a deferred civilian residency (NADDS) counts toward time in rank/promotion but NOT retirement credit. FTOS time counts for both.

I'm not sure how the other services do it, but my Navy personnel record has a calculation of the exact breakdown of my prior service credit when I came on Active Duty. All time spent on active duty counts. Medschool doesn't count, but the time in OIS/ODS counts as does your annual 45 day active duty tours for HPSP. Time as a drilling reservist/guardsman does not count unless you were called up to active duty; then the time spent on active duty would be added.

I don't think the adt while in HPSP counts towards anything, although if it says so on your record I wouldn't go asking around for clarification :)

Time as a drilling reservist does count towards promotion at a 2 for one ratio. The time counts towards pay at a one to one ratio. Retirement is day for day spent on active duty during that reserve period. This does not include typical IRR service. (Source: personal experience including BCNR confirmation.

Here is the Navy instruction: OPNAV INSTRUCTION 1120.4B

Residency and fellowship is 1 for 1, private practice is 1/2 for 1. Max entry grade credit is 15 yrs barring extreme circumstance.