contact lens follow up visits

Started by HOLLYWOOD
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HOLLYWOOD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Patient comes in for a sph. cl fit, you charge them x dollars for the fit. How many follow up visits does the patient get before you charge them again? I give them 2 visits .
 
Patient comes in for a sph. cl fit, you charge them x dollars for the fit. How many follow up visits does the patient get before you charge them again? I give them 2 visits .
A brand new fit gets 90 days worth of follow-up included in my initial fitting fees. Depending on the lens, I usually have them back for no more than two or three scheduled visits. One thing my office does not do is put those patients on my schedule. They are put on the CL tech's schedule and therefore do not take the spot of a paying patient. It takes so little time to pop in and assess the lens that it does not interupt the flow of the clinic. A refit, which I do very often in my clinic, gets no free follow-up visits, and depending on the lens may end up comming back up to three times also. These patients are also not put on my schedule.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does a refit differ from a follow-up? Does a follow-up include any lens changes/tweaks, or is that a refit?
Patients that are refit, come in for follow-ups so I guess the answer to your question is that the visits are the same. The difference is that I do not charge a global fee for refits like I do for new fits. This is actually changing in my clinic at the first of the year. All refits will be charged a global refitting fee, which will be less than a new fit, and will cover two or three visits depending on the lens and the wearing schedule. Follow-ups do include lens changes. A refit simply means that I am taking an established contact lens patient out of their current lenses and into another type of lens. The most common example in my clinic would be taking an AV2 wearer and refitting them into a PureVision or Night & Day.
 
Patients that are refit, come in for follow-ups so I guess the answer to your question is that the visits are the same. The difference is that I do not charge a global fee for refits like I do for new fits. This is actually changing in my clinic at the first of the year. All refits will be charged a global refitting fee, which will be less than a new fit, and will cover two or three visits depending on the lens and the wearing schedule. Follow-ups do include lens changes. A refit simply means that I am taking an established contact lens patient out of their current lenses and into another type of lens. The most common example in my clinic would be taking an AV2 wearer and refitting them into a PureVision or Night & Day.
Gotcha, thanks. 🙂