Contact lenses on the wards and OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply Pressure

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to wear contact lenses in the hospital?

I prefer to wear contacts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sure but you're not going to have a fun time trying to put that contact into your blood shot eyes when you wake up at 5ish to go preround.

Agreed, I also wouldnt mess with them if you ever have to take overnight call...then youre just asking for trouble.

Otherwise I'd prefer them for the OR since you cant fog those up.

Members don't see this ad :)
mine start to bother me after 12 hours of fluorescent lights. I've got some money set aside for some glasses soon.

At the start of med 3 I switched to CIBA extended wear contact lenses. They're only FDA approved for 30 days continuous wear, but I always wear mine for eight weeks (med 3 rotations were eight weeks, I put in a new pair for each rotation). I have NEVER had trouble with dry eyes. Extended wear really is everything is cracked up to be-you put them in and completely forget that you don't have perfect vision. You never take them out. They don't need to be washed, and in fact it isn't recommended (turns out your germy fingers touching the lenses does more harm than good). I found mine cheap online, and like I said, I wear them for two months, so I get twice the mileage. I don't see how my fellow blind student docs live without them. Glasses are going to get broken/foggy/lost, other contacts make your eyes hurt. It's a no brainer.

concerning this topic...anyone able to use an ophthalmoscope while they have glasses on? If so, any tips? Without glasses my vision is too bad to try and use the scope, but I haven't been able to get a decent view with my glasses on.

Sure but you're not going to have a fun time trying to put that contact into your blood shot eyes when you wake up at 5ish to go preround.
Agree. I only wear my contacts on days off.

The trick to not having your glasses fog up during surgery is to tape down the top of your mask. Some masks even come with sticky stuff inside of them. Also, you can spray the lenses with anti-fogging solution. I have not ever tried using this, but it's available as an option, anyway.

At the start of med 3 I switched to CIBA extended wear contact lenses. They're only FDA approved for 30 days continuous wear, but I always wear mine for eight weeks (med 3 rotations were eight weeks, I put in a new pair for each rotation). I have NEVER had trouble with dry eyes. Extended wear really is everything is cracked up to be-you put them in and completely forget that you don't have perfect vision. You never take them out. They don't need to be washed, and in fact it isn't recommended (turns out your germy fingers touching the lenses does more harm than good). I found mine cheap online, and like I said, I wear them for two months, so I get twice the mileage. I don't see how my fellow blind student docs live without them. Glasses are going to get broken/foggy/lost, other contacts make your eyes hurt. It's a no brainer.

You mean those things dont practically adhere to your eyes after a night of sleep or even a short nap?