Contact or don't contact programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgirlnyu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed all over the forums, but with the deadline getting nearer, I'm getting a little crazy... should I tell programs (truthfully of course)
1. I'm ranking them
2. I'm ranking them highly
3. They are my top 3
4. They are my number one

One resident at a program told me that he did all of this, though I'm leaning towards just the last two. Also, a program director told me to tell my advisor to call my #1 program on my behalf... anybody else get this advice/do this already?

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed my #1 and told them they were my #1. I emailed my #2 and #3 and told them they are at the top of my list.

Shoot. I asked my #1 if they would sign me outside the match. Negatron. Oh well, still matched here.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever action you take, you better start cracking

After receiving the email from NRMP, it seems clear that both programs and applicants can feel free to tell anyone who they are ranking and where on their list. What is NOT allowed is asking the other party about their list or attempting to make any sort of deal.

I was told by a program director that he thought more highly of an applicant after receiving a phone call from the applicant's home program director. It may be too late for that now, but you never know what might help.