Contact other programs near current away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougarY

MD aware
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on an away right now (I know - kinda late) and haven't heard from several programs in the area. The state I'm in typically likes in-state applicants so that I was hoping my away here would help my chances. However, the fact that I'm doing an away in the state isn't on my app anywhere (since it was after submission) and I will be getting a SLOR that I'll add to ERAS after it comes which should be there by ranking time. Should I contact residency coordinators in the area just to tell them I'm on an away in the area and update them to look for another SLOR (hoping they'll invite me for interviews while I'm here)? Thanks for replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on an away right now (I know - kinda late) and haven't heard from several programs in the area. The state I'm in typically likes in-state applicants so that I was hoping my away here would help my chances. However, the fact that I'm doing an away in the state isn't on my app anywhere (since it was after submission) and I will be getting a SLOR that I'll add to ERAS after it comes which should be there by ranking time. Should I contact residency coordinators in the area just to tell them I'm on an away in the area and update them to look for another SLOR (hoping they'll invite me for interviews while I'm here)? Thanks for replies.
I would avoid saying "hey im in the area so please invite me" I highly doubt most places want to know you are interviewing there because its convenient. With that said, I do think emails to the PD with the cooridnator CCd explaining why you want to go there and telling them you will have another SLOR ready soon would be a good idea.