contacting alum for personal information

Started by pwnthemcat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pwnthemcat

gettin my reps in
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have any of you contacted alumni from any of the caribbean schools regarding their experiences? i'm considering doing this but not sure how to go about it.
 
have any of you contacted alumni from any of the caribbean schools regarding their experiences? i'm considering doing this but not sure how to go about it.

Yeah I believe on their website there is a way to get in touch with alumni. I would recommend it! I met one at an open house and have been emailing her back and forth and she's been able to answer a lot of my questions. They are definitely excited to help!

Here you are: https://baysgu35.sgu.edu/emc/AVD.nsf/findit?OpenForm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK well here goes

I am considering attending SGU and I'm aware that it has a strong reputation overall. I'd like to pursue a career in either a surgical specialty or pyschiatry. Is it unrealistic to shoot for general surgery or something new and hot like neuropsychiatry? How about something in academic medicine?
And how do you go about making yourself competitive to pursue these areas?

The quality of education is very important to me as well. I would like to attend a school that has a good learning environment and all the resources needed to study medicine. Did you feel like you received an education worth your money?

One of my college friends attended another Carribean based medical program. Apparently they were lacking as far as administrative support - losing transcripts, not taking care of classrooms properly. How do you feel about the responsiveness of the administration to SGU? Did they support students or just let things slide?

I'm not sure when I'll be able to start med school due to financial constraints. I probably will be saving up for a good year before I matriculate anywhere. Were you able to secure loans to finance your education without too much trouble? Overall how much did med school cost and what do you think a future student could expect?
 
I'm also considering Ross University.

What influenced you to attend Ross over any other Carib-based medical schools?
 
I'm also considering Ross University.

What influenced you to attend Ross over any other Carib-based medical schools?

To be honest, I only looked at two schools, SGU, and Ross. I got accepted to both. In deciding between both schools, for me, it came down to the difference in tuition and time spent on the islands. I was impressed with both of their residency placement lists, and they both had a large number of graduates ( 4,500+ each ).

I could not justify the extra dough for SGU at the time, as I compared the residency match lists etc. With that said, SGU is an excellent choice, and if I were in the same position now I would have to reevaluate, taking things like clinical sites for 3rd and 4th year rotations into account. Since the takeover of Ross by Devry, there has been quite a bit of congestion due to Ross overbooking clinical placements. This has had a very minimal effect on me personally, but students a semester or two behind me have been affected. Ross needs to get this sorted out ASAP.

An FMG is an FMG is an FMG, so name recognition is not terribly important. What is important is making sure you get great board scores, and also that you have the ability to get through your 3rd and 4th year rotations in a timely manner. Is SGU worth the extra money over Ross with respect to these? I honestly don't know. I am happy with my decision to go to Ross, and would do so again. I would definitely take a close look at SGU, and possibly AUC as well, as I believe they offer great alternatives.


I urge you to read over my old posts, as well as those of other posters such as Topgun, and Lobelsteve, shahpatel, and skipintro who have graduated from SGU, SGU, Ross and Ross respectively to get a look at the various perspectives. For example, in a recent thread, Skipintro ( a current anesthesiology resident ) reported choosing Ross over SGU for the same reasons I did. Others will disagree, and say that the clinical set-up in 3rd and 4th year outweighs the cost advantage, and they could possibly be right. Nevertheless, the ultimate decision will rest with you. Good luck to you in reaching your decision.Feel free to pm me if necessary👍
 
sounds like you had a good experience. i will PM you later with more ?s, thanks for the input!
 
Hi guys i have a question. I have applied to dental schools in america. the thing is i have had a transcript notation for misconduct in the past but it has been over for a long time now. my question to you guys is should i mention it to the dental school admission people or should i not mention it cuz it is off the records. please advice me guys.
 
Hi guys i have a question. I have applied to dental schools in america. the thing is i have had a transcript notation for misconduct in the past but it has been over for a long time now. my question to you guys is should i mention it to the dental school admission people or should i not mention it cuz it is off the records. please advice me guys.

If they ask the question, you must answer truthfully.
If you lie and they catch it at your graduation, you'll be kicked out.
Just have a well prepared statement as to the events that took place and the steps ypu've taken to correct any personal or professional deficiencies you have had in the past. Stay positive and honest.
 
To be honest, I only looked at two schools, SGU, and Ross. I got accepted to both. In deciding between both schools, for me, it came down to the difference in tuition and time spent on the islands. I was impressed with both of their residency placement lists, and they both had a large number of graduates ( 4,500+ each ).

I could not justify the extra dough for SGU at the time, as I compared the residency match lists etc. With that said, SGU is an excellent choice, and if I were in the same position now I would have to reevaluate, taking things like clinical sites for 3rd and 4th year rotations into account. Since the takeover of Ross by Devry, there has been quite a bit of congestion due to Ross overbooking clinical placements. This has had a very minimal effect on me personally, but students a semester or two behind me have been affected. Ross needs to get this sorted out ASAP.

An FMG is an FMG is an FMG, so name recognition is not terribly important. What is important is making sure you get great board scores, and also that you have the ability to get through your 3rd and 4th year rotations in a timely manner. Is SGU worth the extra money over Ross with respect to these? I honestly don't know. I am happy with my decision to go to Ross, and would do so again. I would definitely take a close look at SGU, and possibly AUC as well, as I believe they offer great alternatives.


I urge you to read over my old posts, as well as those of other posters such as Topgun, and Lobelsteve, shahpatel, and skipintro who have graduated from SGU, SGU, Ross and Ross respectively to get a look at the various perspectives. For example, in a recent thread, Skipintro ( a current anesthesiology resident ) reported choosing Ross over SGU for the same reasons I did. Others will disagree, and say that the clinical set-up in 3rd and 4th year outweighs the cost advantage, and they could possibly be right. Nevertheless, the ultimate decision will rest with you. Good luck to you in reaching your decision.Feel free to pm me if necessary👍

You hit it dead on!!!

I made the decision to go to Ross for the same reason. (extra $$$ was not justified)........I landed up in a great residency program. (as did many of my classmates)

Here is what I say: If you get accepted to both and you have the extra cash...go to SGU! (only for the sake of less headache in clinical years)

I personally had no issues at Ross (basic or clinical sciences).