Contacting nearby programs for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C5toC9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate if you have an interview in one place to contact nearby programs for interviews to save on travel expenses?

If yes, when would it be acceptable to do this? It's still early in the interview season, so how long should we wait to contact nearby programs if we've got an interview invite now?

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea. I have a free day in New York between St. Barnabas and SIUH. Would like to call Mt. Sinai and ask if they could speed-up processing and schedule an IV on that date for me.

...sarcasm

Is it appropriate if you have an interview in one place to contact nearby programs for interviews to save on travel expenses?

If yes, when would it be acceptable to do this? It's still early in the interview season, so how long should we wait to contact nearby programs if we've got an interview invite now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't think your question is that far out of left field - I've certainly seen it happen with medical school admissions.

However, it really should be handled on a case by case basis. If, when speaking with a program representative, you get the sense they might be understanding of your siutation, I don't see the hurt in asking them to consider this. I've definitely heard of this happening with some couples that were couples matching.

Understand that some programs might be very touchy and uptight, and might be a little taken aback. And some might not. It depends on your wording, the reason for your requesting this, and the repoire you have with the program, I'd say.

I have seen this but with people that already have an interview at C but have a day or two between interview A and B and they call to see if they can move the interview closer to those two dates or in between.

I think if you're calling because you want an interview, you should make the case for that, rather than it being convenient for you. I think the latter would be less appealing to an overworked overstressed program administrator, whereas a well crafted note or phone call talking about why you want to go to program X would probably have more mileage. But yes, still too early for that.