Contacting programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pickaname

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to contact a program that you have not yet heard from? Any suggestions on what to say besides, "Hey I'm really interested in your program, please interview me?"

Thanks,
Pick:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest something like:

Hi, My name is XXX. I applied to XXX and hadn't heard back from you. I wanted to confirm that you had received all of my materials and to see if there were any other materials you needed.?
A: no we have everything

Ok. Thanks. By the way, any idea what your interview dates are going to be? I want to make sure to leave a space for your program in my schedule if you do invite me!
Answer 1: Oh, we already gave out all our interviews
or
Answer 2: Those dates will be on XXX and XXX

If answer 1:
Thank you. (problem solved, you weren't invited)

If answer 2:
Any idea when we'll be hearing?

So, you think a phone call is best, not e-mail?

Thanks for your advice

Yeah, I personally think phoning is probably best. So far the places, I've called (some twice) have been very understanding. It can't hurt and it shows interest etc...

When my wife applied for anesthesiology, she was offered interview at many programs including Baylor in Houston. At the time, both the Baylor anesthesiology and radiology programs were on probation. I was a radiology resident at UT in Houston. She was rejected by UT Houston. She wrote to the PD that this was the only program that rejected her and she didn't know why. Her letter was unusual and piqued the PD's interest. He gave her an interview and brought up the letter's contents. She was pugnacious and he liked that. She matched to the program. So even if you are rejected out right, there is still hope if you think they made a mistake and that is where you really want to match with.