content review for psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allantois

Conversation Starter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have all 3 content review books for Psych: by EK, Kaplan, and TPR. Which one are you using and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
we meet again..

i have all three as well. i read EK, but it definitely won't be enough to do very well.

This section is mostly interpreting data from experiments, and knowing all the theories/ people who came up with the theories, and knowing tons and tons of different terms. So maybe you could read EK, and then use kaplan/TPR to read all the bolded words, or just read TPR/kaplan.

Even those books won't have everything. But TPR/Kaplan will have much more than EK

I just finished reading my Kaplan behavioural sciences review book. I did not like it. It felt overwhelming to me. It was like they had no idea what was going to be on the exam, so they just put literally everything they could think of in the book. There was even a short section on animal (like dog and cat) behavior. Correct me if I'm wrong but I really don't think that would be on the MCAT, so I don't know why they put stuff like that in there. Just my opinion, though, maybe other people liked the book more than I did.

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished reading my Kaplan behavioural sciences review book. I did not like it. It felt overwhelming to me. It was like they had no idea what was going to be on the exam, so they just put literally everything they could think of in the book. There was even a short section on animal (like dog and cat) behavior. Correct me if I'm wrong but I really don't think that would be on the MCAT, so I don't know why they put stuff like that in there. Just my opinion, though, maybe other people liked the book more than I did.

Are you using Kaplan set primarily for content review? If so what is your opinion of their other books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kk
Are you using Kaplan set primarily for content review? If so what is your opinion of their other books?

Yes, I'm using the seven book set for content review. Here are my opinions:
Biochemistry: great, although 90% of it is stuff I learned in intro bio, not biochem
Physics: I think it's good, but I kind of hate it because I stink at physics so I feel like I can't give an unbiased opinion lol. The practice questions are very difficult.
Biology: have only done two or three chapters, seems good so far, but I probably won't use it much because most of it is physiology, which I'm taking this semester so I don't feel the need to review
Ochem, Gen chem: haven't looked at them yet.
What am I missing... CARS? Lol I didn't even know I had a CARS book, oops, I'll have to look at that when I go back to school tomorrow.

I'm reading the PR psych book now, and supposed to be taking their lectures (online class), but the availability is poor so I haven't attended one yet. Maybe the lecture does a better job, but in our class we are scheduled to read the book backwards for some reason, and the content is just thrown in a seemingly random order. Lots of definitions. Oh well...

I'm probably going to read it once and then compile main theories, lists, and non-obvious definitions and just leave the rest to intuition and context clues.

I'm reading the PR psych book now, and supposed to be taking their lectures (online class), but the availability is poor so I haven't attended one yet. Maybe the lecture does a better job, but in our class we are scheduled to read the book backwards for some reason, and the content is just thrown in a seemingly random order. Lots of definitions. Oh well...

I'm probably going to read it once and then compile main theories, lists, and non-obvious definitions and just leave the rest to intuition and context clues.

So you wouldn't recommend the TPR Psyc/Soc book?? Do you think Kaplan is better?

I don't have anything but PR, but unlike bio/physics/chem/cars, no one has much to work off of for this section of the exam and I'd expect all sources to be similarly shotgun-approached. I'd sooner read anything than worry about which is the best. If you don't have anything, go to a bookstore and read equivalent sections from whatever series and find what's least gag inducing.

Note: I haven't taken the MCAT, I've only done one PR full length, and my last psych class was 4 years ago. I'm just tucking my head down and moving forward, since being stalled by the uncertainty seems even worse.

I have Kaplan, and I think there is way too much information! The problem is, it's hard to know what's most important. After a few practice exams, it seems like learning (including conditioning), stages of development, psych disorders, social inequality, and group dynamics all came up rather consistently. There was also a question or two about parts of the brain. I am considering buying a second psych/soc book. Any opinions on NextStep?

Reactions: 1 users
Is the new exam also testing for names of the major people in psych? How about different syndromes (such as Kluver-Bucy syndrome)?

Is the new exam also testing for names of the major people in psych? How about different syndromes (such as Kluver-Bucy syndrome)?

I would think they'd ask about very prominent ppl in psych like Freud, Skinner, Pavlov etc.

Im using EK but Im biased because I was a psych major. I think the Kahn videos do an excellent job filling in blanks where EK, TPR or Kaplan fail

Second Khan academy for brushing up on Psych. I'm using EK and TPR. Haven't started TPR, but EK covers essentials. Anything more than this is gravy.