Content Review + Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted92121

So should you do finish content review then questions or mix questions in with content review?

I ask because I have the TPRH Science Workbook but the questions are not labeled to tell me what section they belong in (kinematics, etc).

How would you handle this?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in the Hyperlearning course? You're supposed to get question numbers (ranges) to do each week that corresponds to the lectures that week.

And yes, definitely mix in questions with review.

mix mix mix mix mix.

Content review and practice passages go hand in hand. They should not be separated. How do you know if you know something without testing yourself? Practice passages provide that opportunity to consolidate what you learned, make sure you're being honest with yourself about what you know AND give you MCAT experience. That MCAT experience is pivotal as it's going to help you frame your studying (as in, you're studying for a test.. so you'll want to review the content in a way the test will expect of you rather than trying to conform later) and help you develop the critical thinking skills you need to be successful on the MCAT.

Practice passages should be integrated from day 1 until the last day of your studying. Through content review, through practice exams.

If you don't have the little pamphlet that breaks down where the questions are for each topic, I would search around these forums for it.. I'm sure it has been posted at some point.

No I'm not in the hyperlearning course but I bought the 2013 Science Workbook. Content review I am using Khan Academy, Chad's Videos, and MCAT-Review.

FWIW, I don't see the need for all the content review books. Not because they aren't helpful but because content is content no matter which way you slice it. The value comes from practice, practice, practice. Luckily my talent (and probably my only one) is memorization. I have an ability to recall anything I have read or watched.

Anyway, thank you for the advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm similar in that regard in that I can recall any Seinfeld or Stargate-SG1 episode and pretty much recite the script. It's a trick I do to impress ladies at parties.

Anyway, I see the point you're making but I would disagree that content is content. Yes, the concepts are the same at the end of the day, but what makes certain books more valuable than others is the way they are delivered to you (the order of topics, what is highlighted, interspersed questions, etc). That's why people can recommend one company over another for certain subjects. What is your goal for the test? I'm sure we can offer advice tailored to what you want as your end result.

Believe me, memorization tricks do not impress the ladies.

And yes, you make a very valid point. My big weakness is the physical sciences. I did decent on my first MCAT attempt, 28 with BS 10, VR 10, PS 8.

I get myself worked up over the PS problems, especially physics. I can remember all the formulas and a lot of the conceptual stuff I do okay with. It is the math part that kills me. I am just not strong in math. Period.

Hmm, maybe that's why I'm having no luck in the boudoir.

Btw, I recommend having a look at the math strategies section of the guide you are using. Sometimes it comes down to knowing how to estimate to find the right answer, whether it's estimating a pH value, a log value, multiplication of bases and exponents, etc.

Last edited:
No MCAT studying and volunteering are why you aren't having luck in the boudoir. I think there was a warning label on my book.

Anyway, I think I am actually going to shell out the dough for the TPR Online Self Paced course. I am one of those folks who need structure and order. Plus it will help with my OCD and trying to put things in a perfect, organized manner.

Ok now that makes me feel sad. I finished studying and took the MCAT last May, and still no luck lol.

TPR stuff is really good. Good for you for investing in the course and realizing you learn better in a paced environment.

What score are you aiming for? If you don't mind me asking.