Contesting a medical admissions rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbnj4m

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? I'm honestly considering getting some face-time in the admissions office to discuss with them my seriousness for attending their school and the motivations behind my drive to become a physician.

My status: post-secondary rejection with NO interview.
My 'stats': MCAT: 33S, GPA: 3.64, University: UC Berkeley; Major: Engineering; Note: four family members attended Stanford for their Bachelor's degrees.
School's status: highly coveted; progressive curriculum; expensive.

I was hoping that this message could stoke the brilliant minds of this forum to gain honest, non-derisive conversation on the pros and cons of what contesting a medical school decision.

• Details to think of:
    [*]Mode of contact: email, call, or physically show up.​
    [*]Persuasive techniques to use given the context and who's in power (what's in it for them?).​
    [*]How can I reduce the shock factor of this and turn it into something positive?​

Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever done this? I'm honestly considering getting some face-time in the admissions office to discuss with them my seriousness for attending their school and the motivations behind my drive to become a physician.

My 'stats': MCAT: 33S, GPA: 3.64, University: UC Berkeley; Major: Engineering; Note: four family members attended Stanford for their Bachelor's degrees.

I was hoping that this message could stoke the brilliant minds of this forum to gain honest, non-derisive conversation on the pros and cons of what contesting a medical school decision.

• Details to think of:
    [*]Persuasive techniques to use given the context and who's in power (what's in it for them?).​
    [*]How can I reduce the shock factor of this and turn it into something positive?​

Thanks in advance,

"she's just not that into you, brah"

Once the committee has voted, there is no way they will reverse their decision. Don't be a sore loser.

Members don't see this ad :)
The schools can reject you for a number of reasons and they don't even need to tell you. I would just try to ask what you can do help your application for the next cycle. The "nice ones" will definitely tell what you need to do in order to improve.

Not happening...

yzyCTqO.gif

If you try and contest the decision of the admissions committee, you are going to have a bad time.

Are you willing to disclose the school name or perhaps its geographic location?

• Details to think of:

Thanks in advance,

People have contested/appealed. But most of the ones I've heard were denied again. I think contesting their decision, which they spent their own time to read and debate your application, might seem to undermine their credibility. It is better to be humble and say that you weren't good enough.

What school was it? Some schools have cut offs, not only for GPA and MCAT. For example, if you applied to Stanford and you have no research experience, say goodbye to that 100 dollar secondary. Others have pre-requisites such as USC and their micro requirement. If you don't have it or didn't state you will complete it in the following semester, say goodbye to that train.

There are many factors why you didn't get invited to an interview. You might've come off a bit arrogant your essays or a bad letter of rec saying you're too prideful and not willing to take criticism...and so on. We can go down this long rail road but its up to you.

Just move on, there are plenty of other medical schools....

The only thing that will happen is that the Stanford admissions committee will have a good chuckle.

Trying to get into a "highly coveted" school with a 33 and 3.6?

I smell a troll

• Details to think of:

Thanks in advance,

With tons of stellar applicants out there, there is no reason why this school would benefit to reconsider their decision after rejecting you without interview. I don't see this going anywhere well. With a 33 MCAT and 3.6 GPA, you aren't exactly in the position to negotiate with the "highly coveted schools".

There are many other excellent institutions to choose from.

People have contested/appealed. But most of the ones I've heard were denied again. I think contesting their decision, which they spent their own time to read and debate your application, might seem to undermine their credibility. It is better to be humble and say that you weren't good enough.

What school was it? Some schools have cut offs, not only for GPA and MCAT. For example, if you applied to Stanford and you have no research experience, say goodbye to that 100 dollar secondary. Others have pre-requisites such as USC and their micro requirement. If you don't have it or didn't state you will complete it in the following semester, say goodbye to that train.

There are many factors why you didn't get invited to an interview. You might've come off a bit arrogant your essays or a bad letter of rec saying you're too prideful and not willing to take criticism...and so on. We can go down this long rail road but its up to you.

Just move on, there are plenty of other medical schools....

what micro requirement? i'm looking at the msar for USC and i don't see it..

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of everyone I met on the interview trail, the children from Berkley were the absolute most insufferable.

Hopefully an adcom will come give you some helpful advice.

I wouldn't feel comfortable contesting a medical school's decision because of the large amount of applicants they have to sift through. I think they are well aware that many qualified individuals fall through the admissions process cracks and they are okay with that.

Just my 0.02$.

8309897388_f5d611b516_z.jpg

What a joke. If people were allowed to contest the committee's decision, the entire admissions process would be invalidated. The point of the process is to decide who will be admitted to their school, that's it. If you are cut, you are cut, you can't come crying to them and begging them to reconsider.

You have no shot, especially because they didn't even invite you to an interview. Do not waste the committee's time or your own. Learn to take no for an answer and stop acting like a self-entitled brat.

You can ask why they didn't invite you to interview and you might get your answer.

• Details to think of:

Thanks in advance,

Nope. You're done. You're simply wasting the adcom's time by complaining

Trying to get an adcom to reverse its decision = suing your boss and expecting to keep your job.

Their blaster shields are just too strong!

I appreciate all the feedback: positive and negative. It's all helpful.

Hope everyone has a nice "hump" day.

Calvin - you know I wouldn't put hump in quotation marks. When I type hump, I mean it. I mean hump, not kind of like hump, or metaphorically hump. Simple forensic work would make it obvious this isn't my brand of trolling.

It is possible to appeal and have your rejection reversed. I appealed 2 pre-interview rejections, had them reversed and eventually interviewed.

Both schools just recently accepted me.

Although, some schools are just going to flat out be unresponsive to you once they've rejected you. I called LSU-New Orleans to try and appeal, but the lady I spoke with on the phone said their decision was final. The most important thing is that you try and fight for it.. the worst they can do is say no again, so what's the big deal?

Reactions: 1 users
It is possible to appeal and have your rejection reversed. I appealed 2 pre-interview rejections, had them reversed and eventually interviewed.

Although, some schools are just going to flat out be unresponsive to you once they've rejected you. I called LSU-New Orleans to try and appeal, but the lady I spoke with on the phone said their decision was final. The most important thing is that you try and fight for it.. the worst they can do is say no again, so what's the big deal?

This

Reactions: 1 user

This just made the thread interesting

Reactions: 1 users
The only school I'm aware of that has an appeals process post-secondary is UCSF, but there are probably others that allow it. If it could save you another grueling application cycle, then I say go for it if you're willing to get accepted into any medical school. Now if you only want admissions to ONE place that's highly coveted, then good luck...

http://meded.ucsf.edu/admissions/accepted

Appeals

Applicants who do not receive a secondary application or an invitation to interview may appeal the decision of the Committee on Admissions by writing to the Chair of the Admissions Committee at the Admissions Office. Please note that applicants who have interviewed are not eligible to appeal because their files have already received final Committee review.

This just made the thread interesting
Much better than the bandwagon, overly confident responses of NAH BRO U LOSE JUST GIVE UP.

• Details to think of:

Thanks in advance,

Contesting it doesn't hurt, but you should have done it months ago. At this point, most schools have already finished interviewing, except for UC Irvine, Albert Einstein, and a few others.

You could be like the daughter of one of the chief directors at my old work and have him phone the dean post rejection and oh hey that suddenly turned into an acceptance! :rolleyes:

Or tell your parents to pony up a check for a few cool million, they might even get their name on a lab bench and you a seat in the school :laugh:

Much better than the bandwagon, overly confident responses of NAH BRO U LOSE JUST GIVE UP.

Evidence based. OP has poor stats, this whole discussion revolves around a program he/she describes as coveted, I would imagine Stanford based on his gratuitous inclusion of that info in the OP. Stanford isn't interviewing at this point. So what are they going to do for him? They aren't going to convene a special board of faculty and student interviewers to interview him. Berkeley or not, this situation looks doomed. What's your path to success for them?

Contesting it doesn't hurt, but you should have done it months ago. At this point, most schools have already finished interviewing, except for UC Irvine, Albert Einstein, and a few others.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. Interview season is practically over.

contesting it doesn't hurt, but you should have done it months ago. At this point, most schools have already finished interviewing, except for uc irvine, albert einstein, and a few others.

that's a good point that i hadn't considered. Interview season is practically over.

+1

Evidence based. OP has poor stats, this whole discussion revolves around a program he/she describes as coveted, I would imagine Stanford based on his gratuitous inclusion of that info in the OP. Stanford isn't interviewing at this point. So what are they going to do for him? They aren't going to convene a special board of faculty and student interviewers to interview him. Berkeley or not, this situation looks doomed. What's your path to success for them?
My statement was in reference to the massive amounts of equally negative responses by nearly all of the posters in the first half of this thread. The responses following the OP's post not only failed to answer any of his questions, but also seemed to cumulatively answer a question he didn't ask in an antagonizing way. Clearly, the OP understands the unlikelihood of the situation which is why they asked for some creative ideas for this unconventional approach.

My statement was in reference to the massive amounts of equally negative responses by nearly all of the posters in the first half of this thread. The responses following the OP's post not only failed to answer any of his questions, but also seemed to cumulatively answer a question he didn't ask in an antagonizing way. Clearly, the OP understands the unlikelihood of the situation which is why they asked for some creative ideas for this unconventional approach.

Those negative responses were due to the fact that what the OP wants to do is for all intents and purposes useless. Why spend much time brainstorming all the things the OP should take with him on a cruise when the ship has already left port? Can't you see why there would be that kind of response?