Contesting a medical admissions rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those negative responses were due to the fact that what the OP wants to do is for all intents and purposes useless. Why spend much time brainstorming all the things the OP should take with him on a cruise when the ship has already left port? Can't you see why there would be that kind of response?

http://youtu.be/yfAeMtcURg0

Members don't see this ad.

Not going to help. Most admissions offices only have paper pusher types and people that very little input on admissions decisions in them.

You'll likely go in, talk to someone who is in charge of getting people's papers together and forwarding them to people with the power to admit people and they will say "OK, I'll put this in your file" and nothing will change.

It is not to say it is IMPOSSIBLE that anything will change but as a serious percent I'd say 99% of the time it is completely useless and the only time the 1% could actually matter is if something major has changed since they rejected you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It can also hurt you as well. I'm sure that ADCOMs know each other, sort of how people in the airlines knew the big wigs from different airlines! If you piss them off, and I can see how they might take offense to this, they can spread the word when you apply again.

I was rejected, wrote the dean and was granted an interview. this cycle

I was rejected, wrote the dean and was granted an interview. this cycle

Was it at a school ranked similarly to Stanford and in the first week of April (you know, the end of the cycle)?

b1ef3MP.jpg

Has anyone ever done this? I'm honestly considering getting some face-time in the admissions office to discuss with them my seriousness for attending their school and the motivations behind my drive to become a physician.

My status: post-secondary rejection with NO interview.
My 'stats': MCAT: 33S, GPA: 3.64, University: UC Berkeley; Major: Engineering; Note: four family members attended Stanford for their Bachelor's degrees.
School's status: highly coveted; progressive curriculum; expensive.

I was hoping that this message could stoke the brilliant minds of this forum to gain honest, non-derisive conversation on the pros and cons of what contesting a medical school decision.

• Details to think of:
    [*]Mode of contact: email, call, or physically show up.​
    [*]Persuasive techniques to use given the context and who's in power (what's in it for them?).​
    [*]How can I reduce the shock factor of this and turn it into something positive?​

Thanks in advance,
Individuals who think they have a grandiose entitlement to contest a rejection justified cuz mommy daddy and granny went to Stanford SHOULD be rejected.

Seriously, your inability to deal with rejection would only add to their assurance that they rejected you for legit reasons. No one wants someone that can't deal with a little adversity. Now if you were to call up and ask them for advice on improving your application for next cycle that would be much more reasonable.

Survivor DO