Continental Education vs. International Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that society looks down on people that are educated outside of the continental US? Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited, yet still it seems that you’re not going to be a trusted DO or MD, being looked at like you bought your license off eBay. What do you think??

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think that society looks down on people that are educated outside of the continental US? Many of the Caribbean Medical Schools are recognized and accredited, yet still it seems that you’re not going to be a trusted DO or MD, being looked at like you bought your license off eBay. What do you think??

Once its all said and done most people will never know where you went to medical school.

The problem will be getting a solid US residency, particularly in specialty fields and more competitive areas.

It *could* be a concern when applying for certain academic or administrative positions as well.

every where you go people will discriminate it doesn't matter where you came from, we are entering a field weather we like it or not where we will be dealing with egotistical, pampas jerks that get off on making others squirm. They will find a way to belittle you no matter where you come from or what your background is. If you want to be concerned about something legitimate figure out a way where you can let people like that say what they need to say and for you to be capable of still doing your job. We are dealing with peoples lives so you can say they have a reason to be hard on us but keep this in mind.

Let me tell you about this urologist. He did undergrad at Harvard, Med at Wash U St. Louis, then Residency at Yale. He dogged the MD kids that trained at lesser institutions like Michigan or UCLA. He hated my DO training and called it the great travesty of WWII. I would think that someone who trained at Colorado and the University of Pittsburg pretty well trained, but not him. My only point... sh$t rolls down hill. People always like to feel better about them selves by judging them selves on thier peers. Its the basic byproduct of capitalism. There has to be stratification.

The other way to look at it, if your having chest pain ANY doctor, regarless of training site, knows more than you, thus you are judged as thier savior. Its how the system works. Patients dont care, just egotistical docs.

Dont get me wrong, I love capitalism. I personaly think the ONLY reason goverment exists is to preserve free trade. The only way to change the system, and thus the mind of my urologist friend, is to let the hippies have even more influence over our children by further removing the stratification of letter grades and damaging influence of dodgeball so no one "gets their feeling hurt" by loosing. But I digress....