Continue dental shadowing during application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purple99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 100+ shadowing hours, but I'm not in a situation where I could easily get more dental shadowing hours right now. Is this going to hurt me? Do dental schools ask whether I am continuing to shadow during interviews?

I feel like shadowing was the reason I got rejected last year, I had about 55 hrs that cycle (with 3.9 gpa and 22 DAT)

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you did not meet the required number of shadowing hours, it is unlikely that you were passed over because of your 55 hrs of shadowing.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, never got asked about continuing to shadow during the interview process. My personal vote is that you are good at this point if you 100+ hours. I stopped at 100 hours myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 100+ shadowing hours, but I'm not in a situation where I could easily get more dental shadowing hours right now. Is this going to hurt me? Do dental schools ask whether I am continuing to shadow during interviews?

I feel like shadowing was the reason I got rejected last year, I had about 55 hrs that cycle (with 3.9 gpa and 22 DAT)

That’s crazy did you apply broadly? It could be one of the reasons why you didn’t get in.

I applied to 7 schools as an OOS (Marq, Pitt, Temple, UDM, Buf, MWU, Creighton)

That’s insane because these schools don’t even have high stats. Did you do enough volunteering and extracurriculars? It could be one of the reasons.

That’s insane because these schools don’t even have high stats. Did you do enough volunteering and extracurriculars? It could be one of the reasons.
yeah I think it was either shadowing or that; I have about 100+ hours volunteering, and EC was only 1/2 clubs but I did have a leadership position. Also, I applied early Aug (I don't know if that was too late, but that could also be a factor)

yeah I think it was either shadowing or that; I have about 100+ hours volunteering, and EC was only 1/2 clubs but I did have a leadership position. Also, I applied early Aug (I don't know if that was too late, but that could also be a factor)

Aug isn’t too late, a lot of people apply Aug. It could be last cycle was just tough in general. I’ve also heard a lot of these low avg schools tend to accept lower scores because they think students with higher scores might not want to pay high tuition. Hope you do better this year though, good luck.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Aug isn’t too late, a lot of people apply Aug. It could be last cycle was just tough in general. I’ve also heard a lot of these low avg schools tend to accept lower scores because they think students with higher scores might not want to pay high tuition. Hope you do better this year though, good luck.
Thanks, good luck to you too!!