Continue taking pre-reqs after applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceng2doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my local public university, summer school schedules are kinda planned for non-working teenagers, but for us full-time working professionals: only one section will be open for the lecture in the morning (9:00am-10:15am) and the labs come after that (11:00am-12:30pm) which takes a whole morning as a block to dedicate to school two/three times a week.

Simply impossible... however, is gonna cost me a whole Summer semester.

There's no other university close by, and the advisors here do highly recommend to take all of the courses in a university (thus, no community-college, or even college).

On the other hand, I've been planning to take MCAT in April 2011 next year, and to apply in June 2011.

Question: may I take one/two of the pre-req courses right after my application, in the following Summer and/or Fall semester, depending on the potential schedules of the courses? Is that possible or not?

Members don't see this ad.

In my local public university, summer school schedules are kinda planned for non-working teenagers, but for us full-time working professionals: only one section will be open for the lecture in the morning (9:00am-10:15am) and the labs come after that (11:00am-12:30pm) which takes a whole morning as a block to dedicate to school two/three times a week.

There's no other university close by, and the advisors here do highly recommend to take all of the courses in a university (thus, no community-college, or even college).

On the other hand, I've been planning to take MCAT in April 2011 next year, and to apply in June 2011.

Question: may I take one/two of the pre-req courses right after my application, in the following Summer and/or Fall semester, depending on the potential schedules of the courses? Is that possible or not?
Med schools just want to see the prereqs completed before you matriculate. That's not a problem.

The MCAT, on the other hand, tests the prereqs. Taking the MCAT before you finish ochem is pretty reasonable. Taking it before you've finished the other subjects, not so much. But you can game this by being proactive & organized.

I do think it's important to take the test before the end of April in order to have an early app.

Best of luck to you.

I asked the schools I applied to this very question. The consensus is that you can take the pre-req's whenever you want so long as you complete (and pass) them prior to matriculation. Now, if you are going to take one over the summer, you need to let them know this. Most schools have a deadline on when they want to receive your transcripts prior to matriculation. So, if you're going to taking pre-req's all the way up to the last month prior to med-school, the med-schools need to be in the know. Your timeline indicates you will have until lenty of time to secure final grades for required matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above statements. Also, disregard this kind of "advice"...

advisors here do highly recommend to take all of the courses in a university (thus, no community-college, or even college).

Ugrad advisors are often misinformed to this whole issue. Most of my pre-reqs are CC. If you need to take a couple at CC for financial, schedule or other reasons, its not going to affect you in the least.

I quite relaxed with your comments now. I was kinda pissed off after seeing the Summer course schedules at the university today.

My personal study plan will be:

Spring 2011

• MCAT in Feb/Apr
  • bio-2 + lab
  • ochem-1 + lab
Summer 2011

• Applications done
  • ochem-2 (only lecture, due to the conflicting schedules)
Fall 2011

• Interviews (hopefully :xf:)
  • ochem-2 lab

I'll be full-time working as a team-lead in a global company (I donna if I'll be able to get an LOR from my company, though... I mean, how can I request that without getting fired right on the spot in this fluctuated market... I need that money until I start school), volunteering, and shadowing at all times, as well...

Besides, do I need to finish my second-bachelors along with those high-level science course, and whatnot? I was told that it would buff-up my application.

Brief info on my background:

I've been studying my second-bachelors in Biomedical Sciences (my local state university has already transferred and certified all of the course work, about 147 credit hours, from my international BS degree in Computer Engineering as it was an American university with current cGPA:3.88, sGPA:4.00). I've also an MS in Computer Science at one of the top 5 graduate universities in the States. I'm a US citizen.