continuity clinic appointment #'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how many patients you're expected to see in your 1/2 day CC (per PL year) and how many CC's a week do you have? Do your clinic appointment times vary for what type of appointment (acute vs. well child) and in line with that has the new 18mo/24mo autism screening recommendation changed appointment times for 18/24mo WCC appointments. Any attendings who would be willing to comment on the last two questions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious how many patients you're expected to see in your 1/2 day CC (per PL year) and how many CC's a week do you have? Do your clinic appointment times vary for what type of appointment (acute vs. well child) and in line with that has the new 18mo/24mo autism screening recommendation changed appointment times for 18/24mo WCC appointments. Any attendings who would be willing to comment on the last two questions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

according to the acgme website: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/320pediatrics07012007.pdf

It's a minimum of 3 per half day session in 1st year, 4 in 2nd year, and 5 in 3rd year. (We are taught that it's 3-6 in 1st, 4-7 in 2nd and 5-8 in 3rd in my program, but I don't know if that's official.)

Our clinic appointment lengths depend on the level of the resident and the type of complaint, e.g. adhd initial screening is 60 minutes regardless of year, a sick visit for a 3rd year is 15 minutes. Well visits are 30 minutes for 2nd and 3rd years, 45 for first years. Those are some examples. We can also double book ourselves if we want.

[...]has the new 18mo/24mo autism screening recommendation changed appointment times for 18/24mo WCC appointments.

No, there are many things you are screening for, giving anticipatory guidance on, and will be addressing as parents bring up the topics during your well-child visits. You should always get a developmental history anyway (part of your well-child review of systems, and that's actually even more than just the standard screening questions), no matter whether parents fill out a screening form beforehand or not. Therefore, WC visits are the same length as before. At our program, we get 15-30 minutes for each, depending on PGY level.

No, there are many things you are screening for, giving anticipatory guidance on, and will be addressing as parents bring up the topics during your well-child visits. You should always get a developmental history anyway (part of your well-child review of systems, and that's actually even more than just the standard screening questions), no matter whether parents fill out a screening form beforehand or not. Therefore, WC visits are the same length as before. At our program, we get 15-30 minutes for each, depending on PGY level.

Sorry about the thread resurrection, but I was out of country for 10 days and came back to prep for moving...
So in regards to the above, yes, I've done all that in my three years of residency. As of earlier this year we added the Ages And Stages Questionnaire to the WCCs. I was specifically making reference to the 2007 AAP recommendations to use at least a tier one autism screening tool (ex. M-CHAT) at 18mo and 24mo in addition to all other well child issues
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;120/5/1183#SEC8