Child neurology and pediatrics ERAS/residency application question(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m_taha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an IMG interested in applying for child neurology (which I hear is not very IMG friendly, generally, but I'm gonna try to press my luck because I love the field). There are all so little programs that I can apply to in the specialty and I plan on applying to pediatric programs too - now - the question is....

Can I apply to a pediatrics residency AND a child neurology residency in the SAME institution? My thinking is if I don't get matched into the child neurology then I might be matched into the pediatrics residency of that institution (I don't mind doing pediatrics in that institution if I don't get child neurology)... Or is that not how it works?

How do programs see this?
If a child neurology interview doesn't go well does it mean that pediatrics automatically folds?
Also, bear in mind, as an IMG I will probably only get a couple of interviews (if I'm lucky).
I hope I am making sense, if not, please let me know!

STATS: Step 1 high 240s, step 2 low 260s, passed CS 1st attempt; 1 publication, 2 or so papers in works not published, medical elective in Montreal, Canada in pediatric neurology, ~ 2 months observership in USA (couldn't get or afford externships/electives), 2018 graduate (followed by a required general internship year in home country which will be done by July 2019)

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is yes, and that programs will be understanding if you apply peds and peds neuro at the same institution. I'm interested in another peds subspeciality and recently spoke with someone who successfully matched to a combined program. He said most places he was actually being considered for several tracks (the combined program, peds alone, peds research track, etc.) and places were understanding that he could potentially reach his goal several ways. Generally, his interviews were 2 days, with the first day being with the general peds applicants and the second day being more research-focused/ combined program focused. In my opinion he applied to a ridiculously small number of schools (I think fewer than 10?!?!) but he was a stellar applicant and got offered interviews nearly everywhere (he declined interviews at one school because it was the end of the season, he was happy with his prospects, and didn't want to make another trip cross-country). Still with interviewing <10 school he ranked about 20 programs, because of the multiple tracks he was being considered for. So yes, in summary I think you are being realistic and I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank y
My understanding is yes, and that programs will be understanding if you apply peds and peds neuro at the same institution. I'm interested in another peds subspeciality and recently spoke with someone who successfully matched to a combined program. He said most places he was actually being considered for several tracks (the combined program, peds alone, peds research track, etc.) and places were understanding that he could potentially reach his goal several ways. Generally, his interviews were 2 days, with the first day being with the general peds applicants and the second day being more research-focused/ combined program focused. In my opinion he applied to a ridiculously small number of schools (I think fewer than 10?!?!) but he was a stellar applicant and got offered interviews nearly everywhere (he declined interviews at one school because it was the end of the season, he was happy with his prospects, and didn't want to make another trip cross-country). Still with interviewing <10 school he ranked about 20 programs, because of the multiple tracks he was being considered for. So yes, in summary I think you are being realistic and I wish you luck!

Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I'm an IMG interested in applying for child neurology (which I hear is not very IMG friendly, generally, but I'm gonna try to press my luck because I love the field). There are all so little programs that I can apply to in the specialty and I plan on applying to pediatric programs too - now - the question is....

Can I apply to a pediatrics residency AND a child neurology residency in the SAME institution? My thinking is if I don't get matched into the child neurology then I might be matched into the pediatrics residency of that institution (I don't mind doing pediatrics in that institution if I don't get child neurology)... Or is that not how it works?

How do programs see this?
If a child neurology interview doesn't go well does it mean that pediatrics automatically folds?
Also, bear in mind, as an IMG I will probably only get a couple of interviews (if I'm lucky).
I hope I am making sense, if not, please let me know!

STATS: Step 1 high 240s, step 2 low 260s, passed CS 1st attempt; 1 publication, 2 or so papers in works not published, medical elective in Montreal, Canada in pediatric neurology, ~ 2 months observership in USA (couldn't get or afford externships/electives), 2018 graduate (followed by a required general internship year in home country which will be done by July 2019)

I'm a month late, but in my experience, generally this doesn't happen. Many child neuro programs still require you to apply to their peds programs on ERAS for coordination reasons, so you'd probably have to communicate with them directly to express interest in the peds program unrelated to your child neuro application. In fact, one of my programs like this actually sent me a link to sign up for a separate peds interview (this program didn't have us interview with peds for child neuro), and a week later rescinded it since I was a child neuro applicant. Even in the programs where two-day interviews included a regular peds interview day, the vast majority of my interviewers knew I was a child neuro applicant and focused their questions around that circumstance. I think only 1 of the programs I applied to emailed us around match day asking if I wanted to be considered for peds in addition to child neuro.

That's not to say that you can't apply with peds as a backup, because there are people who do - there's still plenty of institutions that don't have child neuro programs to begin with but still have peds programs, and those may be better odds for you as an IMG anyway. But dual-applying at a given institution might be tough.