Contract non renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i told him to wait 299 days.likely he would have finished residency by then. So the retaliation would be for nil.

Everything youre suggesting is illegal

I'm suggesting that proving any of the 'whistleblowing' complaint you were suggesting as the root cause of the nonrenewal would be difficult, if not impossible. And if he goes this route, his PD and other faculty will not be giving him a glowing review to try and get a new position anywhere else. Right now, if he doesn't burn their goodwill, he has a chance for it.

As well, if a complaint is lodged, the time it would take to go through investigations and more, even if he were found to be correct, would take months, if not years to complete. By that time, he would have trouble obtaining his training.

So none of what I am suggesting is illegal. Perhaps you need to look into reality. As a recently graduated anesthesiologist, you do not have much insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm suggesting that proving any of the 'whistleblowing' complaint you were suggesting as the root cause of the nonrenewal would be difficult, if not impossible. And if he goes this route, his PD and other faculty will not be giving him a glowing review to try and get a new position anywhere else. Right now, if he doesn't burn their goodwill, he has a chance for it.

As well, if a complaint is lodged, the time it would take to go through investigations and more, even if he were found to be correct, would take months, if not years to complete. By that time, he would have trouble obtaining his training.

So none of what I am suggesting is illegal. Perhaps you need to look into reality. As a recently graduated anesthesiologist, you do not have much insight.
He should file an complaint in 299 days likely they cant hurt him them. If they attempt to, even now it is retaliation which is just as bad or worse then discrimination in the law's eyes even if the discrimination complaint is complete and utter horseSH*t

I'm aware of the case. But none of that would save their career. I'm explaining what would happen if they make up an EEOC complaint (and frankly what should happen if they make one up) as precedence implying a protection for false whistleblowers is not how it should be.

Again, your advise is really bad
The original posters complaint is not Imagined. He had tangible adverse employment action. This COULD be discrimination.
Let the EEOC sort it out!!
IF they choose to retaliate, they will be punished again.
The original poster career is NOT over, even if you believe it to be.

He should file an complaint in 299 days likely they cant hurt him them. If they attempt to, even now it is retaliation which is just as bad or worse then discrimination in the law's eyes even if the discrimination complaint is complete and utter horseSH*t

ANY future employment would require this residency program to provide information. He will NEVER be done with them for the rest of his career in the US if that is possible. They can always hurt you more.

I'm not sure where you get a discrimination complaint out of all of this. He called in sick to stay longer on vacation. After his request for those days were initially denied. This result would have happened no matter if he was a FMG, IMG, or AMG.

It sounds like you are perhaps projecting yourself into this issue. Your advice is NOT helpful and likely to be hurtful to the OP's chances at salvaging his career.

Reactions: 9 users
This has nothing to do with me. I have never been thrown out of residency
Discrimination STILL happens.Whether you want to believe it or NOT.
the punishment doesnt fit the crime in my opinion and he is a foreign national.
It is NOT preposterous that he was discriminated against.
IF they destroy his career. He has a stronger case against them.

Just out of curiosity, why wont you posters allow the system to work?
ANd if discrimination is found,, it can shut the program down.

This has nothing to do with me. I have never been thrown out of residency
Discrimination STILL happens.Whether you want to believe it or NOT.
the punishment doesnt fit the crime in my opinion and he is a foreign national.
It is NOT preposterous that he was discriminated against.
IF they destroy his career. He has a stronger case against them.

ANd if discrimination is found,, it can shut the program down.
What do you mean "the punishment doesn't fit the crime"? Did you even read the OP?

He states that he was given 1 week of vacation, a 3 day block of clinical responsibility and then 2 more weeks of vacation. He then decided to go "home" which was overseas for the entire 3wk/3d period and just call in sick for those (extremely inconveniently timed for him) 3 days. That's what the kids call "dereliction of duty" and the OP is extremely f***ing lucky he wasn't fired on the spot. I lost a job in high school for doing the same thing.

There's no discrimination here. Just stop. I'd say you're just embarrassing yourself, but you seem to enjoy being the troll so that's probably not useful.

Reactions: 10 users
The original posters complaint is not Imagined. He had tangible adverse employment action. This COULD be discrimination.
Let the EEOC sort it out!!
IF they choose to retaliate, they will be punished again.
The original poster career is NOT over, even if you believe it to be.

This is ridiculous and delusional. I think it's time to close this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
What do you mean "the punishment doesn't fit the crime"? Did you even read the OP?

He states that he was given 1 week of vacation, a 3 day block of clinical responsibility and then 2 more weeks of vacation. He then decided to go "home" which was overseas for the entire 3wk/3d period and just call in sick for those (extremely inconveniently timed for him) 3 days. That's what the kids call "dereliction of duty" and the OP is extremely f***ing lucky he wasn't fired on the spot. I lost a job in high school for doing the same thing.

There's no discrimination here. Just stop. I'd say you're just embarrassing yourself, but you seem to enjoy being the troll so that's probably not useful.
Why would you think a career needs to be destroyed for this. THis is akin to revoking your driver license for life for a driving infraction. Thats ridiculous. Do i agree he didnt do the right thing? Yes. Do i agree to punish him? Yes. Extend his residency 6 months. Destroying his career?He can never work again? Deported back to his country? No way.
And if they felt so strongly about it, why would they help him find another spot? So he can hurt some more people at another place. As long as its not ours. They wanted to cover it up. ive seen this before.

Reactions: 1 user

Because you MADE UP a discrimination story with zero evidence. It’s like making a false rape accusation — it does a disservice to actual victims of discrimination by abusing the system. He did something wrong and the program had full right to terminate him. For the umpteenth time, ANY resident regardless of Amg/Fmg status would be punished this way. He LIED TO AN EMPLOYER.

Instead of saying something useful to the OP, you’re telling him to lie for a second time, which will not help him and will sink his chances in the US forever.

Your advice is idiotic at best, and actively harmful at worst.

I agree with @Piebaldi. OP has gotten the useful advice he needs. This is just trolling at this point. Time for the thread to be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Why would you think a career needs to be destroyed for this. THis is akin to revoking your driver license for life for a driving infraction. Thats ridiculous. Do i agree he didnt do the right thing? Yes. Do i agree to punish him? Yes. Extend his residency 6 months. Destroying his career?He can never work again? Deported back to his country? No way.
And if they felt so strongly about it, why would they help him find another spot? So he can hurt some more people at another place. As long as its not ours. They wanted to cover it up. ive seen this before.

giphy.gif

Nope. Integrity is quite possibly the MOST important quality in a physician. Lying and pushing responsibility off on your co-residents doesn't cut it. And that's leaving aside the fact that any employer is well within their right to fire an employee for dishonesty and dereliction of duty.

Reactions: 8 users

Yep. Almost 3 weeks in a row is almost unheard of. It was so obviously and poorly done to call in sick - and for 3 days straight! I mean sure if the OP had gotten into a serious car accident, run over by a bus, etc and he was in the hospital it would be easy to prove. But the likelihood of OP get sick for 3 days in a row, after he specifically asked for those 3 days in a row is almost statistically impossible to occur. So poorly done, didn't even try to hide it!

Reactions: 1 users

This is delusional. Your mental health is becoming questionable. Not deported - his immigration status is not the program's issues. His visa has certain requirements. If he fails to meet them he can't stay. The US does not owe anyone anything. Please understand that. And BTW - for people who have DUIs for example, they WILL lose their license after a number of strikes for example. We ALL have to abide by certain rules. I had a classmate who was almost put on probation because he tried to re-arrange the clinic schedule for one day in order to volunteer to teach med students for example. Very much AMG. Getting a position in the US for an IMG/FMG is a BLESSING, not a right. We all have to be on our best behavior in residency, even for all the times we feel that the rules are ridiculous, unfair, inappropriate, etc. But it's only a few years.

What OP did is entirely and completely unprofessional. Also not only is what you are suggesting completely inappropriate, and quite pathetic to suggest given lack of discrimination, but making a false allegation like that can be not only career ending, but I'm sure there are other very negative consequences. Don't play the race/discrimination card when there is no discrimination. It will come back to bite you in the butt.

Don't be like that woman from U of Chicago Plastic surgery residency progrma - she was from Colombia, she got canned, and claimed discrimination. Was involved in a lawsuit for years with the program, and not only was she not reinstated, but she royally lost.

This is a little tough to decipher. If you are asking whether you should resign rather than complete PGY-2, that is a very bad idea. At least with 2 years of GME, you are potentially able to get a license in some states: FSMB | State-Specific Requirements For Initial Medical Licensure

This is an ad that came to my inbox for correctional medicine jobs btw.
As you can see, it requires board certification. Just pointing out objective facts.

Part time Physician - Edwardsville, IL - Indeed.com

Dude. So what. We all know that jobs for a FMG with a license but no BC are going to be limited. He has no other options. The jobs exist. Proving that you didn’t find one is irrelevant.

you are a bit naive if you think they can't.

This is delusional. Your mental health is becoming questionable. Not deported - his immigration status is not the program's issues. His visa has certain requirements. If he fails to meet them he can't stay. The US does not owe anyone anything. Please understand that. And BTW - for people who have DUIs for example, they WILL lose their license after a number of strikes for example. We ALL have to abide by certain rules. I had a classmate who was almost put on probation because he tried to re-arrange the clinic schedule for one day in order to volunteer to teach med students for example. Very much AMG. Getting a position in the US for an IMG/FMG is a BLESSING, not a right. We all have to be on our best behavior in residency, even for all the times we feel that the rules are ridiculous, unfair, inappropriate, etc. But it's only a few years.

What OP did is entirely and completely unprofessional. Also not only is what you are suggesting completely inappropriate, and quite pathetic to suggest given lack of discrimination, but making a false allegation like that can be not only career ending, but I'm sure there are other very negative consequences. Don't play the race/discrimination card when there is no discrimination. It will come back to bite you in the butt.

Don't be like that woman from U of Chicago Plastic surgery residency progrma - she was from Colombia, she got canned, and claimed discrimination. Was involved in a lawsuit for years with the program, and not only was she not reinstated, but she royally lost.
Have I hurled insults at you? Nope. Yet you call me delusional. That is not right. I know we are on an internet forum but CMON have some respect. We disagree.
The U.S. owes everyone fairness and not to be discriminated against. There are laws in the USA.
Making a discrimination complaint after tangible negative employment action is not even in the same ballpark as falsely accusing someone of rape. One is a civil complaint, the other criminal complaint.
And how can you compare getting a DWI with what the original poster did. And if you say lying about sickness (which cannot even be proven) is worse. We 're done!
You should wholeheartedly support the EEOC and their efforts to investigate and adjudicate these cases.
I think the original poster has a case.
And I am not even a member of ANY protected class.

Because you MADE UP a discrimination story with zero evidence. It’s like making a false rape accusation — it does a disservice to actual victims of discrimination by abusing the system. He did something wrong and the program had full right to terminate him. For the umpteenth time, ANY resident regardless of Amg/Fmg status would be punished this way. He LIED TO AN EMPLOYER.

Instead of saying something useful to the OP, you’re telling him to lie for a second time, which will not help him and will sink his chances in the US forever.

Your advice is idiotic at best, and actively harmful at worst.

I agree with @Piebaldi. OP has gotten the useful advice he needs. This is just trolling at this point. Time for the thread to be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The evidence is the termination. And he is a foreign national.
Its not like a rape accusation. You dont go to jail if you are found guilty of discrimination.
The program had full right to terminate him, that is true. But not for discriminatory reasons.
If you say ANY resident would be punished this way. proof of that would have to presented.

I am giving him VERY useful advice. I gave him this very viable option.
My advice is NOT idiotic.
And by saying that you are in my opinion revealing something about yourself because you are saying the organization is idiotic.

Last edited:
Have I hurled insults at you? Nope. Yet you call me delusional. That is not right. I know we are on an internet forum but CMON have some respect. We disagree.
The U.S. owes everyone fairness and not to be discriminated against. There are laws in the USA.
Making a discrimination complaint after tangible negative employment action is not even in the same ballpark as falsely accusing someone of rape. One is a civil complaint, the other criminal complaint.
And how can you compare getting a DWI with what the original poster did. And if you say lying about sickness (which cannot even be proven) is worse. We 're done!
You should wholeheartedly support the EEOC and their efforts to investigate and adjudicate these cases.
I think the original poster has a case.
And I am not even a member of ANY protected class.

The OP lied. That is a professional breach. He has already admitted to this as well. Making a false accusation is not only stupid, but illegal and has legal consequences. You are delusional. What evidence do you have that there is discrimination? You are just a troll and delusional. This thread should be closed.

The evidence is the termination. And he is a foreign national.
Its not like a rape accusation. You dont go to jail if you are found guilty of discrimination.
The program had full right to terminate him, that is true. But not for discriminatory reasons.
If you say ANY resident would be punished this way. proof of that would have to presented.

I am saying VERY useful. I gave him this very viable option.
My advice is NOT idiotic.
And by saying that you are in my opinion revealing something about yourself because you are saying the organization is idiotic.

By the way you write you are clearly foreign. Essentially what you are suggesting is illegal, kind of like blackmail. You are suggesting that because OP is a foreigner, even though he lied, and breached a professional core competency, he is going to threaten a program or accuse them of discrimination simply because he is a foreigner? Are you that nuts? What would be discriminatory about him getting canned for lying?

What a waste. I'm sorry I am even engaging you. I am done.

The OP lied. That is a professional breach. He has already admitted to this as well. Making a false accusation is not only stupid, but illegal and has legal consequences. You are delusional. What evidence do you have that there is discrimination? You are just a troll and delusional. This thread should be closed.

IM done. Go read some more.

How can you simultaneously acknowledge that the program had "full right" to terminate him, and also say it is discriminatory?

You won't be able to prove that ANY resident would be punished this way, because no other resident is foolish enough to try to get away with something so brazen. Don't give me the line that "it can't be proven," he ASKED to have the days off and then when he didn't get them it he decided to not show up. It would be quite a remarkable coincidence for that to just happen out of the blue, and for him to not get a doctor's note.

The fact that some IMGs, somewhere, are discriminated against doesn't mean that is the case of the OP.

Reactions: 4 users
Yet another mess of a thread.

A few things that Mr S says are actually correct.

1. The OP didn't show up for work, and was fired because of that. Is that reasonable? Does the punishment fit the crime? That's an open question, and I think smart people here might disagree. Details matter. I've had residents miss a shift, clearly by mistake. When they discover it, they immediately fix the problem before I get involved. The situation here sounds different from the OP's description -- they asked for the time off, was declined, and then just "called in sick" instead of coming to work. Assuming this is the actual truth of the event, different programs might decide on different outcomes -- immediate termination, non-renewal, extension of training, some other sort of professionalism remediation, or nothing at all but a warning. All of those are reasonable, would depend upon the details and the culture of the institution.

2. The OP can file a complaint with the EEOC. I have personal experience with this. Sounds like it would be a real pain for the program, and I was really concerned (although I was rather certain I was innocent). Turns out it's really not a big deal, if the program didn't actually discriminate. I was required to submit my summary of the situation to the EEOC in writing, was no more than 2 pages. No evidence or proof, just my description. Several months later, I received notice that the complaint was closed. End of story. There would almost never be any legal repercussion for the resident -- they felt that they received differential treatment because of their background. Even if that's completely wrong objectively, it's the way they felt.

3. If the OP does submit a complaint to the EEOC (or any other sort of complaint procedure), the WORST thing the program can do is retaliate for that. If they do that and the complaint is dismissed, they can then be found guilty of retaliating and get in all sorts of trouble for that.

But, I still disagree with the core of his argument:

A. The program didn't end this resident's career. This resident did something wrong. The program decided that they would end their training at the end of their contract. That's the program's choice, and we are only seeing this issue in a vacuum, for all we know the resident had other issues. But maybe not -- we don't really know. In any case, the resident is free to go find another training position. Residents do this all the time. because they are letting him finish the year, he has 6 months to find a new spot. If the resident doesn't find a new spot, that's not the program's fault. The program only has to give the resident a fair assessment. I've had this exact problem before -- a resident repeatedly blew off assignments, I ended up terminating them. They found a new spot, and have a career. I'd like to think they learned an important lesson.

B. The resident could delay filing an EEOC complaint until after they have a new position, and likely would face no blow back from that. But it's unlikely it would do them any good, unless it was easy to see blatant discrimination -- someone else did the same thing and nothing happened to them because of their race/national background/etc. If the resident files an EEOC complaint now, although the program shouldn't retaliate, they would likely stop helping the resident find a new spot, which would likely severely limit the OP's options.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm too scared to call out sick from my scribe job when I'm actually sick. How tf do you fake that to your residency program for a few extra days of vacation. Frankly, that's not really a mistake. Thats like a premeditated lack of respect for your program and colleagues.

**Random dude giving advice to create a racism issue and sue them is so 2019

The part of the story that everyone seems to be skipping is that he was back in the home country during the “sick” days. Correct me if I’m wrong OP, but you bought a round trip plane ticket with the sick days in the middle. The intent to abuse your sick days becomes self evident at that point.

Reactions: 13 users
Why would you think a career needs to be destroyed for this. THis is akin to revoking your driver license for life for a driving infraction. Thats ridiculous. Do i agree he didnt do the right thing? Yes. Do i agree to punish him? Yes. Extend his residency 6 months. Destroying his career?He can never work again? Deported back to his country?

For the same reason that med schools dismiss students who cheat. Dishonesty is a career ender, and it's not in the same class as a speeding ticket.

BTW, having a driver's licence is also a privilege, not a right.

How can you simultaneously acknowledge that the program had "full right" to terminate him, and also say it is discriminatory?

You won't be able to prove that ANY resident would be punished this way, because no other resident is foolish enough to try to get away with something so brazen. Don't give me the line that "it can't be proven," he ASKED to have the days off and then when he didn't get them it he decided to not show up. It would be quite a remarkable coincidence for that to just happen out of the blue, and for him to not get a doctor's note.

The fact that some IMGs, somewhere, are discriminated against doesn't mean that is the case of the OP.
You can only fire people for LEGAL reasons.
For the same reason that med schools dismiss students who cheat. Dishonesty is a career ender, and it's not in the same class as a speeding ticket.

BTW, having a driver's licence is also a privilege, not a right.

If what you are saying is true,( about dishonesty being a career ender), there would be noticeably fewer physician in the world thats for sure.
The original poster is NOT in medical school.
I maintain that the original poster was treated way too harshly and I would almost certainly, if i were in the O.P shoes, gather enough evidence and contact the EEOC.

I literally have no idea what you're arguing at this point. The guy didn't show up for work. You get fired from just about any job for that.

Furthermore, he WASN'T fired, his contract was not renewed.

Reactions: 4 users

If what you are saying is true,( about dishonesty being a career ender), there would be noticeably fewer physician in the world thats for sure.
The original poster is NOT in medical school.
I maintain that the original poster was treated way too harshly and I would almost certainly, if i were in the O.P shoes, gather enough evidence and contact the EEOC.

My sister didn't show up to her job for three shifts. They fired her. She wasn't in medicine. You're expected to actually show up for your assigned shifts. If you don't, you're in violation of your contract. They had the right to fire OP on the spot. Instead, they allowed OP to finish the year.

As for the second part, you can make a complaint against the medical board for dishonesty and have the potential to get a license revoked. Just because some physicians get away with shady things doesn't mean that dishonesty is acceptable in our field.

OP doesn't have a leg to stand on for a discrimination suit.

I literally have no idea what you're arguing at this point. The guy didn't show up for work. You get fired from just about any job for that.

Furthermore, he WASN'T fired, his contract was not renewed.
Contract was not renewed (in the middle of residency) is FIRED. He doesnt have a contract to put up dry walling.
You can fire someone on the spot for any reason just not for reasons that violate TITLE VII of the Civil Rights Act.

My sister didn't show up to her job for three shifts. They fired her. She wasn't in medicine. You're expected to actually show up for your assigned shifts. If you don't, you're in violation of your contract. They had the right to fire OP on the spot. Instead, they allowed OP to finish the year.

As for the second part, you can make a complaint against the medical board for dishonesty and have the potential to get a license revoked. Just because some physicians get away with shady things doesn't mean that dishonesty is acceptable in our field.

OP doesn't have a leg to stand on for a discrimination suit.
He didnt NOT show up. He was sick. Are you not allowed to be sick?
Let the EEOC figure it out. You are not an expert.
What complaint of dishonesty can you make to the medical board that will get your license revoked?
They care about billing fraud.

What complaint of dishonesty can you make to the medical board that will get your license revoked?
They care about billing fraud.
I can see that you are unteachable. That also gets people fired from residencies.

Reactions: 6 users
Even the OP said he called in sick because of the schedule: "I had 1 week of vacation and then 2 weeks with 3 working days in between. So, I called in sick for those 3 days. I previously bought this issue up and asked if they can rearrange schedule but they denied my request. So, I took it personally did this mistake."

But for the record, it would be super easy to prove that he didn't fly back to the US prior to "calling in sick" for those three days--the program asks for his flight itinerary to prove he came back in time to work those three days, it shows that he didn't fly back until the end of the entire break, and he's screwed and loses any good will he may have at the program. Maybe gets immediately terminated for further dishonesty. So have at it if you enjoy arguing just for fun's sake, but you're fighting an argument even the OP isn't bothering to make.

Reactions: 1 users
Even the OP said he called in sick because of the schedule: "I had 1 week of vacation and then 2 weeks with 3 working days in between. So, I called in sick for those 3 days. I previously bought this issue up and asked if they can rearrange schedule but they denied my request. So, I took it personally did this mistake."

But for the record, it would be super easy to prove that he didn't fly back to the US prior to "calling in sick" for those three days--the program asks for his flight itinerary to prove he came back in time to work those three days, it shows that he didn't fly back until the end of the entire break, and he's screwed and loses any good will he may have at the program. Maybe gets immediately terminated for further dishonesty. So have at it if you enjoy arguing just for fun's sake, but you're fighting an argument even the OP isn't bothering to make.
The original poster is reeling from all that's happened. Many people do not understand their rights and many people don't understand when they are being treated unfairly. That is how the system has indoctrinated us. The abuse of power is rampant. I am just pointing out his options. He doesn't have to do anything or report anything. He can just go about his life and accept abuse at the hands of anyone without a word. It would be ok but once it starts to get damaging that is when he probably should fight back. Calling in sick (even when you are not) has nothing to do with your fitness as a professional. Period.

Even my partners abuse sick leave all the time. In fact in the govt. you can use three sick days without providing a medical note.

The original poster is reeling from all that's happened. Many people do not understand their rights and many people don't understand when they are being treated unfairly. That is how the system has indoctrinated us. The abuse of power is rampant. I am just pointing out his options. He doesn't have to do anything or report anything. He can just go about his life and accept abuse at the hands of anyone without a word. It would be ok but once it starts to get damaging that is when he probably should fight back. Calling in sick (even when you are not) has nothing to do with your fitness as a professional. Period.

Even my partners abuse sick leave all the time. In fact in the govt. you can use three sick days without providing a medical note.
So your argument is that because your partners are doing it, it must be ok for everyone to do it?

I think many users have made it clear that trying to make the case as you describe is both unlikely to work and would end any good will he has left. Clearly you either disagree or are trolling, but I don’t see much point in trying to convince you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.