Contract review lawyer suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woody890

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Is anyone here familiar with contract lawyers in Chicago? I'm in the process of exploring options for my contract review and was considering either Contract Diagnostic or Contract Rx from White Coat Investor. Before making a decision, I wanted to reach out here and see if anyone has recommendations for a reliable contract lawyer in Chicago. Personal experiences or any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used Scott Weavil. Excellent experience, detailed, makes a video where he goes line by line in your contract with commentary, makes himself available for answering any questions. Never dealt with a middle man or paralegal.

Would use him for physician employment contacts again.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone. Is anyone here familiar with contract lawyers in Chicago? I'm in the process of exploring options for my contract review and was considering either Contract Diagnostic or Contract Rx from White Coat Investor. Before making a decision, I wanted to reach out here and see if anyone has recommendations for a reliable contract lawyer in Chicago. Personal experiences or any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
General recommendation I was given was to use someone in your state so they are familiar with state laws regarding contracts, however I know those big companies on WCI literally review tons of contracts and would have a unique perspective from that regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of getting a contract review lawyer these days anyway? Contracts are boilerplate and not really modifiable and just as take it or leave it...

Reactions: 1 users
What is the point of getting a contract review lawyer these days anyway? Contracts are boilerplate and not really modifiable and just as take it or leave it...
For me the greatest benefit was just having a better understanding of the legalese. I made zero changes to my contract. It was worth the $700 IMO to know exactly what I was signing. I don't have any family or friends who are lawyers, so I sought a professional.

Reactions: 4 users
For me the greatest benefit was just having a better understanding of the legalese. I made zero changes to my contract. It was worth the $700 IMO to know exactly what I was signing. I don't have any family or friends who are lawyers, so I sought a professional.

I’ve never had an employment contract reviewed but education is a valid reason to spend $700.

Reactions: 2 users
I had one review my contact got
More money and bonus
Best money spent
Be weary of sites like “contract diagnostics” and others
They are not even attorneys and will charge you even more for every little thing
One fee to review
Another charge if you want any editing etc

Reactions: 1 user
I’d do it once just for the legalese. But after that I wouldn’t as it’s typically not very modifiable

I’ve never had an employment contract reviewed but education is a valid reason to spend $700.
Yeah, he wrote out a paragraph by paragraph explanation, highlighting some more obscure things or more important things, even saying "This is a good thing!" and "You may want to ask for clarification on this."

That may be true for academic, hospital, and AMC employment. I'm not sure if that will fly in today's market.

In PP, was able to negotiate pay, vacation, time to partnership, sign on bonus etc.

Most employers will say it's all boilerplate, not true. Some of the work contracts are intentionally nonspecific so that you can't turn around and complain that you are doing too many hours, shifts, calls, poor assignments etc.

Reactions: 3 users
That's not true in my experience.
They are certainly negotiable and language can be changed - stricken out or addenda can be used.
The issue is when people try to change terms after they sign the contracts without understanding what they just signed.

What if employers don't respect the contract anyway.... Our contract says that we are supposed to be guaranteed off post call, yet there are many times that people are still working post call

What if employers don't respect the contract anyway.... Our contract says that we are supposed to be guaranteed off post call, yet there are many times that people are still working post call
That sucks. Guess you can always look for another job if they can’t honor the contract. Don’t know if suing is going to get you anywhere.

That’s why a lot of people should be leery of these W2 jobs. They are working them without extra compensation. Before it was old guys taking advantage. Now it’s the corporate overlords.

Are they paying you for those post call days?
We are production based so we get units for those cases, but no one wants to work post call when we try to have a life with the expectation of having off and getting in appointments or whatever, or you know, expecting the contract to be, your know, honored like any other business