Contracts outside the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveinDallas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay - I know this thread has been done before but not very recently and I think things have changed....

Can anyone, preferably PDs, provide some general information about contracts outside the match? I was talking to someone at a Family Program in Dallas and she indicated that she had been given a contract by another family program outside of the match in the 2008 match but politely declined.

Is that sort of thing still allowed? I was looking at the NRMP rules and regs last night and it seems they're a bit peeved and make it difficult for that to happen. Or am I reading it wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

To get a PD's insight, you should probably post in the General Residency forum, or the residency forum for your area of interest.

But to put it simply, there are 2 types of applicants who are allowed to "prematch", meaning they sign a contract and forego the NRMP match. These are IMGs/FMGs and DO students. US MD students do not have this option.

I know of many people from my class who were offered a prematch position, some of them took it and some didn't. It's really a gamble... if you're #1 choice offers you one, then you'd be stupid not to take it, but if it's a program lower on your list, you might want to decline the offer and just wait for the match. It's also bad form to ask for a prematch spot.

To get a PD's insight, you should probably post in the General Residency forum, or the residency forum for your area of interest.

But to put it simply, there are 2 types of applicants who are allowed to "prematch", meaning they sign a contract and forego the NRMP match. These are IMGs/FMGs and DO students. US MD students do not have this option.

I know of many people from my class who were offered a prematch position, some of them took it and some didn't. It's really a gamble... if you're #1 choice offers you one, then you'd be stupid not to take it, but if it's a program lower on your list, you might want to decline the offer and just wait for the match. It's also bad form to ask for a prematch spot.

Roger that on bad form to ask.....but some numbnuts probably would ask.....

So how does prematch work in terms of logistics? Let's say I'm merrily working away and either impress the PD or get the negatives on one of the attendings or senior residents (sorry, couldn't resist :smuggrin:) -- so the ubiqitous 'they' come to you and say,'Dr. DaveinDallas, we'd really like to have you come work for us. We have in our hot little paws a contract for a position outside of the match. Will you accept?'....being that this hypothetical situation happens at my top choice of programs, I snatch them baldheaded and sign it quickly before they can change their minds (or sober up enough to realize what they've done)....then what? Since this would be before the match (I'm contractually obligated to go to the place I match at if I participate), do I just say,'Game over, NRMP - I'm withdrawing from the match?' and all's good? Or do I need to kiss someone's signet ring or slide a Butterfinger to an appropriately sweaty, acne marked, nerdish type to get their blessing?......inquiring minds want to know.....

P.S. sorry about the imagery....I was on a roll....like Belushi in Animal House with the whole Pearl Harbor sililoqy....

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, nice imagery there, but not sure if I want to know what "sliding a Butterfinger" means. So from what I've heard, the way it works is that you get an actual interview just like every other candidate. If they want you to prematch, however, they will contact you afterwards and you have a certain amount of time to accept the offer. If you accept it, I'm not sure if you have to contact NRMP, or if the program does it for you, but either way you have officially signed with them and you won't be participating in the match.

To anyone else reading this and is confused, this whole prematch thing only applies to allopathic (NRMP) residency programs. Osteopathic residency programs use NMS for matching and I don't believe pre-matching is an option.

From the NRMP Independent Applicant FAQ page:

I've signed a contract outside the Match. What happens now?

Under the terms of the Match Participation Agreement, an independent applicant who accepts a concurrent year position outside the Matching Program or through another national matching service must withdraw from the Matching Program. Withdrawal must be completed prior to the rank order list deadline. Failure to do so is a violation of the Match Agreement, which will be investigated by the NRMP in accordance with the Policies and Procedures for the Reporting, Investigation, and Disposition of Violations of NRMP Agreements. Independent applicants who elect to participate in the Match are prohibited from accepting a concurrent year position outside the Matching Program or through another national matching service after the rank order list deadline.​

Haha, nice imagery there, but not sure if I want to know what "sliding a Butterfinger" means.

Get your mind out of the gutter....when I was a techie aeons ago, the IT helpdesk was manned by aforementioned nerdish types who were just thrilled, nay, almost ecstatic at the thought of finding some new softswitch to use in a UNIX command to alter the formatting of a document or chart, and they would ignore our plebian questions or request....you get the idea....in order to get them to put down the Happy Hacking keyboard, look up and answer my question quickly, I'd take a Butterfinger candy bar and lay it on the counter and cover it with my forearm. Once they looked up, I'd casually roll the forearm back revealing the tasty treat and had their undivided attention. Once I had the goods, they got the tasty treat.....I also kept a stash of mini-butterfingers and let it be known, subtly of course, that they were available as long as the needs of my unit got priority.....we did....

In the Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, it's called 'pogey bait'.....

Now, if I'd have said, 'Test the shocks' or 'Hide the salami'....different ballgame.....

How typical is it for programs to offer prematch contracts? I realize that it probably varies greatly with the competitiveness of the field, but I'm curious for the mid level to less competitive specialties. I've heard that (generally speaking) it's typical for lower-ranked programs to offer them in order to try and grab up some of the best independent talent that may otherwise match at more competitive programs. Any truth to that?

How typical is it for programs to offer prematch contracts? I realize that it probably varies greatly with the competitiveness of the field, but I'm curious for the mid level to less competitive specialties. I've heard that (generally speaking) it's typical for lower-ranked programs to offer them in order to try and grab up some of the best independent talent that may otherwise match at more competitive programs. Any truth to that?

It's true. The goal of a residency program is to fill their positions. Having unfilled positions after the Match is a headache, as it means more work for the program staff in the Scramble as well as giving the general impression that the program is no good. PDs of less desirable residencies who are aware of this try to prevent having unmatched positions by pre-matching as many 'qualified' applicants as possible.

As for how typical it is, in the bottom of the barrel residency programs who primarily fill with foreign IMGs it is very common. As the competitiveness increases, in general, you see less and less of the prematching, as strong programs tend to do well in The Match.