contributing to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate when schools ask how I can contribute to the schools. I understand this is a standard question and that the schools have every right to know what I bring to the table. But still, what kind of things can I say without sounding too cocky...too boring? Of course I say I am a proactive student who is committed to student organizations...I have a strong research background and I intend to continue to do research at your school....I am active in the community...blah blah blah. I mean..what else can I say? sorry..thanks for listening

Members don't see this ad.

Im not really sure what schools are looking for. But how about how you would try to promote a cooperative and non competitive environment within the class and someday I would love to comeback to the school and teach; since teching is something i enjoy

I think it's just an opportunity to tick off the strongest points of your application. This is one of those questions you can and should practice for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. Same thoughts here. The real question is can you tell what you've done without sounding like a pretentious gunner.

ellia08 said:
Yup. Same thoughts here. The real question is can you tell what you've done without sounding like a pretentious gunner.
True, and here are some examples of how to succeed in this:

"I have a strong record of academic achievement as evidenced by my undergraduate grades, MCAT performance, and published research," rather than "I have a 3.8 grade point average and a 35 MCAT."

"My leadership experience as captain of the swim team will come in handy in the small-group PBL environment I heard about in the curriculum talk earlier," rather than "I was captain of the swim team for two years."

Etc.