Which of these is a better response for "contributing to the community"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Please use the space below to describe what makes you unique as an applicant, an obstacle that you had to overcome, or how you will contribute to the LKSOM community."

For this prompt, I am deciding between talking about growing up with alcoholic parents and how I learned a lot of strength, resilience, and coping mechanisms from this. Alternatively, I have spoken on some of my secondary essays about the fact I have become a parent about three years ago. I am not the biological mother (my partner is), but we are in the process of doing a second-parent adoption (more common for LGBTQ families). I have used this to talk about what it was like learning to be a parent, how it has changed my perspectives, and the way being viewed as a "different"/non-heteronormative family has shaped the way I treat people and interact with the world.

Becoming a parent has obviously been a more recent development than growing up with alcoholic parents, but both of them shaped me in different ways.

Any feedback or constructive criticism on which of these sound like a more appropriate response would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a fan of the prompt because it allows you to write about one of three possible topics. Basically from your description, anything pretty much works.
Would either of these be a "better choice" in your opinion from an admissions standpoint based on which may be more informative about me? Or is it just a matter of my preference? I appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would either of these be a "better choice" in your opinion from an admissions standpoint based on which may be more informative about me? Or is it just a matter of my preference? I appreciate your feedback!
You are given a license to choose from three questions, and either proposed topic thus will meet the expectations of the essay prompt. (Again, this admissions committee pretty much wants any of those three topics for a response.) Either answer is a mix of addressing at least two of the prompts, and to me, either direction sounds compelling.

Reactions: 1 users
You are given a license to choose from three questions, and either proposed topic thus will meet the expectations of the essay prompt. (Again, this admissions committee pretty much wants any of those three topics for a response.) Either answer is a mix of addressing at least two of the prompts, and to me, either direction sounds compelling.
Thanks so much for your thoughts :)

Reactions: 1 user
This is the diversity question wearing a different frock. I'd go with being a lesbian woman entering into a second parent adoption and navigating parenthood. I think that it will make you unique in the class and your insights will contribute to the class.

This is the diversity question wearing a different frock. I'd go with being a lesbian woman entering into a second parent adoption and navigating parenthood. I think that it will make you unique in the class and your insights will contribute to the class.
I was definitely thinking that this choice would better highlight the way I can contribute to diversity as well. Thank you for your feedback!