Controversial Topic for Diversity Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meteorgarden

Reaction score
I'm applying to medical school next cycle, and I've been trying to come up with topics for the diversity essay since it's a commonly asked question. I have two somewhat controversial experiences that I'm considering, but I'm worried about how they would be perceived by adcoms.

1) My family is from a rural part of Asia where organized crime is very rampant. My paternal aunt is married to a gang member who runs a series of illegal gambling rings. I started tutoring their son in English, and other gang members began paying me to tutor their kids too. There have been some scary moments including police raids and near arrests, but I'm not involved in the illegal aspects of the businesses so I've never actually been thrown in prison or anything.

2) I once had to negotiate a business deal with a corrupt politician in the same rural area in Asia. He wanted me to tutor his daughter in English, but I declined his offer because I wanted to work with kids from impoverished families who could not afford private tutors. He threatened to shut down the only public school in the area if I didn't agree, so I ended up compromising with him.

I'm very passionate about teaching, and I honestly do not regret my decisions because I feel that education should be accessible to everyone regardless of background. However, I've heard mixed reviews from pre-med advisors and peers. Some have told me that my experiences demonstrate questionable ethics/morality, and that schools prefer squeaky-clean applicants (no IAs, no arrests, not even a hint of anything illegal, etc).

Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you didn't take part in any of these activities, the descriptions seem really shady. I can't imagine them making a good first impression on the reader. Just my $0.02.

I'm applying to medical school next cycle, and I've been trying to come up with topics for the diversity essay since it's a commonly asked question. I have two somewhat controversial experiences that I'm considering, but I'm worried about how they would be perceived by adcoms.

1) My family is from a rural part of Asia where organized crime is very rampant. My paternal aunt is married to a gang member who runs a series of illegal gambling rings. I started tutoring their son in English, and other gang members began paying me to tutor their kids too. There have been some scary moments including police raids and near arrests, but I'm not involved in the illegal aspects of the businesses so I've never actually been thrown in prison or anything.

2) I once had to negotiate a business deal with a corrupt politician in the same rural area in Asia. He wanted me to tutor his daughter in English, but I declined his offer because I wanted to work with kids from impoverished families who could not afford private tutors. He threatened to shut down the only public school in the area if I didn't agree, so I ended up compromising with him.

I'm very passionate about teaching, and I honestly do not regret my decisions because I feel that education should be accessible to everyone regardless of background. However, I've heard mixed reviews from pre-med advisors and peers. Some have told me that my experiences demonstrate questionable ethics/morality, and that schools prefer squeaky-clean applicants (no IAs, no arrests, not even a hint of anything illegal, etc).

Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated!

I think your situation could be articulated in a way where you describe how you came to the US to escape political corruption. Many people are sadly forced into crimes they don’t want to be part of but if they refuse, their family lives are at risk.

I would like to think Medical schools are not so snobby where they’d consider your unfortunate circumstances to be too “icky” for them to handle. Not everyone comes from a middle class family and has every resource in the world. Some people had to work during grade school to help support the family.

Maybe it’s because I came from poverty, so I can understand your story more. I do hope Adcom is empathetic to your triumphs. As someone who got into med school has said, it only takes ONE acceptance! <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you didn't take part in any of these activities, the descriptions seem really shady. I can't imagine them making a good first impression on the reader. Just my $0.02.
I agree, how OP presents their story is important. When I read OP’s story, I guess I think of child slavery, how they are forced into militias or gangs. Or working in warehouses.

The story (and your username) sounds like a cheesy Netflix show ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!
Just wanted to clarify a few points:
1) The gang members have an interesting mindset: they chose to enter into organized crime in order to survive, but they don't want that life for their children. Even though they have money, they can't buy a good education for their children. I don't agree with their business dealings, but I also understand the desire to provide a better life for your family. If that means helping kids pass their national English exam, I think it's worth the potential ethical dilemma of being associated with gangs. Just not sure if it's something I want to advertise to adcoms!
2) I didn't mean to write a sob-story of any kind I swear! I was born in the US and admit I live a very privileged life. I have always been passionate about teaching, and because I'm seen as an "insider" by people in the area (almost all of my family still live there), they trust me and I am in a better position to offer help and guidance.
3) Don't knock that show until you've seen it!

3) Don't knock that show until you've seen it!
Don't know about the other two points, but that show is :confused:

EDIT: if you think education is what you are passionate about, then write about it.

How does your diversity benefit your classmates and/or future patients?
I'm having a hard time seeing how the situations you describe do that...
Being comfortable associating with people who have shady ethics is not generally considered a quality to cultivate...

Reactions: 1 user
Okay squeaky clean it is!
Education has always been my passion, and I was wondering if either of these two stories might offer a different perspective since I was forced to consider the ethical dilemmas of my decisions. But it appears that this type of "dark" background is frowned upon in the medical community so I'll focus on safer topics!

Do you speak languages other than English? Are you interested in helping non-English speaking patients, perhaps pediatric patients with non-English speaking parents or older immigrants who have lost or never had fluency in English in your role as a physician who has an understanding of their language and culture and who can provide education about diagnoses and prognosis as well as health promotion education in a language other than English? If so, your diversity could be your fluency with other languages and your interest in teaching patients based on your experiences as a tutor abroad.

Reactions: 1 users