"Conversational" Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard this term float around a lot and it still confuses me a little. My interviews (with the exception of one) has never been like a conversation I would have with a colleague, peer or mentor. The interviewer typically just has a list of questions to ask me and I try to answer them to the best of my ability. Generally speaking, the interviewer does not really go off into a conversation on my answers. He/she typically just receives my answer and goes to the next question.

Now, in the latter half of the interview, when I am given the opportunity to ask questions, this feels slightly more conversational as I have the chance to probe a little more into their answers and somewhat pick their brain. Occasionally, there are moments to insert some light humor or smile here and there, but, for the most part, the interview has never felt like Im casually talking to a friend or coworker. They have felt, well, like an interview! I hear a lot about going into the interview to "have a normal conversation", but my experience so far has not really seemed like that. Is this normal?

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Conversational interviews happen, but they are 100% dependent upon the interviewer and interviewee.

At my school, we ask you questions, you answer them. At the end of the interview, you get to ask us questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Conversational interviews happen, but they are 100% dependent upon the interviewer and interviewee.

At my school, we ask you questions, you answer them. At the end of the interview, you get to ask us questions.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. There was one interviewer who straight up told me that there are a list of questions the school wants him to ask, whereas another one wanted me to initiate something to talk about for the first 20 minutes before asking 2 questions total!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of mine are conversational. They typically ask very broad or open ended questions, and then we go from there with follow ups. They often are able to weave in particular questions into the conversation Only one interview has felt like "I have a list of questions to ask so here is number one..."

I greatly prefer the former.

@Hzreio Interviews are conversational. It's two people exchanging words. However, does it by extension have to feel natural? Of course not. The premise is that you are selling yourself as a candidate to the school. And the school is sending someone to evaluate whether or not you are worth the spot compared to other candidates who are applying for the same cohort. When you mention colleagues, peers, and mentors these are not people who are scouting you and you are not someone who is attempting to appeal to their drive to select you.

Reactions: 1 users
All depends on the interviewers. Most of them have some standard questions to ask but if they find something interesting in your app they may focus on that. My son's very first interviewer spent first 10 mins talking about one of the hobbies he mentioned .

While it might not be possible to have a natural conversation when the interviewer is asking the questions, I’ve found that I can dictate more of a conversation by asking follow-up questions when I have the opportunity to ask the interviewers questions