conversion from Phd to MD/Phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammiejain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am into a PhD program for Fall 2013 and now have decided to pursue an MD. I am wondering if there is a way I can convert to an MD/PhD program.

Members don't see this ad.

If you school has an MD/PhD program then it most likely will allow you to apply for admission to the program internally. However, from what I've read in the MD/PhD forum PhD candidates typically aren't accepted.

If you still want to try though, you'll need to take the MCAT, have the med school's pre-requisite courses met, be in your first two years of grad school, and I'd imagine you'll need to be roughly on par with the average successful MD/PhD applicant for your program (most likely something in the neighborhood of a 3.8 undergrad GPA, 36 MCAT (95th percentile), and 3 years of research experience). If this is a new decision then I'd imagine you haven't taken the MCAT yet which is going to be a considerable problem since I can't imagine trying to prep for that test on top of grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you school has an MD/PhD program then it most likely will allow you to apply for admission to the program internally. However, from what I've read in the MD/PhD forum PhD candidates typically aren't accepted.

If you still want to try though, you'll need to take the MCAT, have the med school's pre-requisite courses met, be in your first two years of grad school, and I'd imagine you'll need to be roughly on par with the average successful MD/PhD applicant for your program (most likely something in the neighborhood of a 3.8 undergrad GPA, 36 MCAT (95th percentile), and 3 years of research experience). If this is a new decision then I'd imagine you haven't taken the MCAT yet which is going to be a considerable problem since I can't imagine trying to prep for that test on top of grad school.

These numbers are accurate only if you're applying to the MSTP at your school as a transfer. At this point, why not finish the Ph.D and apply to an MD afterward? It's about the same length of time as finishing a post-doc in the sciences so an MD seems like a better investment to me, both for the clinical training and the options afforded afterward. Having both degrees opens a huge number of doors.

Having seen many people apply to medical school after a Ph.D, you'd need numbers on par with or better than the average MD applicant and NOT the average MSTP applicant. They're funding your education and looking to see that you'll finish the entire program so that's why the standards for admission are so high. The Ph.D will be a nice feather in your cap, if only because your activities section will look sick with all that research. Best of luck and PM me if you want to talk about this more.

I've heard of it happening, but have you taken the MCAT?

Also, they won't touch you once you become a candidate. I'm one of those PhDs applying to med school now, and trust me, it's just as much work as what any premed has to put into it.