Convert Honors/HP/P grade to AMCAS

Started by yusanshui
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yusanshui

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

My MPH coursework is the Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail system, although it is not a letter grading, it is pretty much the same thing. I called AMCAS, who told me they will keep this simply as Pass/Fail grade. That makes me very sad, because my entire graduate work will be a Pass/Fail hours.... May I know who else have the same experience? What should I do about this? Or I should just move on, since gGPA is not something medical school is interested..

Thank you!
 
Hi Everyone,

My MPH coursework is the Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail system, although it is not a letter grading, it is pretty much the same thing. I called AMCAS, who told me they will keep this simply as Pass/Fail grade. That makes me very sad, because my entire graduate work will be a Pass/Fail hours.... May I know who else have the same experience? What should I do about this? Or I should just move on, since gGPA is not something medical school is interested..

Thank you!
You should check with your school's registrar to see if they provide a letter grade conversion with your transcript. If so, AMCAS will convert your grades. If not, you're out of luck. It doesn't matter much anyway since gGPA isn't very important
 
Thanks. I checked with my registrar, who said our graduate school has an agreement with AMCAS for many years to treat our grade as H/HP/P/F, rather than Pass/fail nor converting to a 4.0 GPA point.

Not very sure what does it mean...since I think AMCAS only shows GPA points or Pass/Fail credits, there is no in-between format...

If it ends up with Pass/Fail, should I send my transcript to medical schools to show what I really got for my graduate study?

You should check with your school's registrar to see if they provide a letter grade conversion with your transcript. If so, AMCAS will convert your grades. If not, you're out of luck. It doesn't matter much anyway since gGPA isn't very important
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. I checked with my registrar, who said our graduate school has an agreement with AMCAS for many years to treat our grade as H/HP/P/F, rather than Pass/fail nor converting to a 4.0 GPA point.

Not very sure what does it mean...since I think AMCAS only shows GPA points or Pass/Fail credits, there is no in-between format...

If it ends up with Pass/Fail, should I send my transcript to medical schools to show what I really got for my graduate study?
I'm not sure what your graduate school is talking about. Your grades can either be converted to a 4.0 scale (if your school provides the conversion, then AMCAS will use it to convert) or your coursework will simply be Pass/Fail, just like you said.

Have you asked other students about what happened to their grades?

There's no need to send in your transcript because med schools will be able to see your raw grades when they look at your coursework section.
 
Thanks, I will ask around.

Will AMCAS send all the coursework titles/raw grades (H/HP/P/F) to medical school as well or just a calculated GPA and Pass/Fail hours?

If just the calculated GPA and hours are sent, would't medical school lose lots of info about the student's academic records?



I'm not sure what your graduate school is talking about. Your grades can either be converted to a 4.0 scale (if your school provides the conversion, then AMCAS will use it to convert) or your coursework will simply be Pass/Fail, just like you said.

Have you asked other students about what happened to their grades?

There's no need to send in your transcript because med schools will be able to see your raw grades when they look at your coursework section.
 
Thanks, I will ask around.

Will AMCAS send all the coursework titles/raw grades (H/HP/P/F) to medical school as well or just a calculated GPA and Pass/Fail hours?

If just the calculated GPA and hours are sent, would't medical school lose lots of info about the student's academic records?
That's what I just told you in my last post. Your raw grade information is sent as part of the coursework section. If admissions committees decide to look at it, they can see your actual course titles and your raw grades. In your situation, the adcomm can see that you passed with a High Pass or Honors or whatever. If they actually look into it is a different story though