Converting hourly to salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthWestPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I was converted from an hourly wage to salary. This year at my review, I brought up that my takehome pay for the last year wasn't quite what I expected, it seemed a little short from what I thought I would be getting. My boss told me that my salary was based on 36 hours a week. I thought salary was based on 40 hours a week, and I definitely was on the job for at least 40 hours a week including admin time.

Is this a standard way to calculate salary? I know that my boss was focusing on my productivity and time with patients, but I thought a salary model wasn't dependant on those exact hours, rather my productivity numbers and patient goals would reflect that.

So let's say my hourly wage had been $10 (which it wasn't, just using that number for discussion). When he said let's convert you to salary, I thought for example that I'd be making $20,800 a year (=$10 x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks a year) but instead he paid me $18,720 (=$10 x 36 hours x 52 weeks). So I feel like instead of making the equivalent of a $10 per hour yearly salary, I was in fact making $9 per hour.

What's standard practice for paying PTs salary?

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Any difference between hourly and salaried when it comes to benefits?

I'm hourly at my company (clock in/out) at a higher pay rate than salaried but do not get benefits besides 401k and some CEU reimbursement. Salaried at my company is pay rate multiplied by the hours you are available to treat patients, usually 32 or 40hrs/week. So if you are treating 36 hrs/week then it is correct, you just eat the admin time. But if you are treating patients for 40 hrs/week then you are being underpaid.

And that's why we should be hourly unless we take a more administrative role. The whole salary conversion thing is def a way to short change you. Is this a private practice?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you not given anything in writing when the change was made? It's a bit shady if you weren't, but I would certainly ask for it now. As far as comparing though, it's usually not as clear cut as simple math because the benefits, compensation stipulations, and PTO usually differ.

I don't know... I guess this is why I prefer to work for a hospital starting out. There is full-time and per diem positions. Regardless if you're full-time salary or full-time hourly, the benefits are the same at my hospital, with the exception of additional PTO for experienced professionals.

salary is based off of pay periods per year. lets say you work 40 hour weeks at the $10/hr. 80hrsx$10 =$800 per pay period (if you get paid every two weeks like most do). $800x 26 pay periods =$20800/year

salary is based off of pay periods per year. lets say you work 40 hour weeks at the $10/hr. 80hrsx$10 =$800 per pay period (if you get paid every two weeks like most do). $800x 26 pay periods =$20800/year

This answer is a fine example as to why everyone should read passed the title before posting.

Last year I was converted from an hourly wage to salary. This year at my review, I brought up that my takehome pay for the last year wasn't quite what I expected, it seemed a little short from what I thought I would be getting. My boss told me that my salary was based on 36 hours a week. I thought salary was based on 40 hours a week, and I definitely was on the job for at least 40 hours a week including admin time.

Is this a standard way to calculate salary? I know that my boss was focusing on my productivity and time with patients, but I thought a salary model wasn't dependant on those exact hours, rather my productivity numbers and patient goals would reflect that.

So let's say my hourly wage had been $10 (which it wasn't, just using that number for discussion). When he said let's convert you to salary, I thought for example that I'd be making $20,800 a year (=$10 x 40 hours a week x 52 weeks a year) but instead he paid me $18,720 (=$10 x 36 hours x 52 weeks). So I feel like instead of making the equivalent of a $10 per hour yearly salary, I was in fact making $9 per hour.

What's standard practice for paying PTs salary?

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

This is the way it is for friends that work at Athletico. I think its 37.5 hours though. Something like that. It makes it appear like you are earning more per hour, but then they all end up working for 50-60 hours a week anyway. off the clock. #paperwork.

This is the way it is for friends that work at Athletico. I think its 37.5 hours though. Something like that. It makes it appear like you are earning more per hour, but then they all end up working for 50-60 hours a week anyway. off the clock. #paperwork.
This is why it seems like such a wayyy better deal to work hourly. Imagine how much an hourly PT would make if they worked full time for $36-40 an hour plus an additional 10-20 hours a week at $50ish dollars per hour, to total 50-60 hours a week.

If definitely seems like in the therapy world, getting salary instead of per hour pay is not good for PTs.

I have friends who have still gotten benefits and were paid hourly- but there was always a push to never go beyond forty hours even with documentation. Other people who work strictly per diem can do so because they usually have a spouse who gets benefits through their employer. There is always a give and take with any job. Find somewhere you like working and are happy then worry about all the other BS- but don't let t consume you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk