Convincing dentistry over physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBI603

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were to convince someone (me) to do dentistry over physical therapy, what would you say in terms benefits of this career?

Members don't see this ad.

If you were to convince someone (me) to do dentistry over physical therapy, what would you say in terms benefits of this career?

I wouldn't try to convince anyone. Everyone is different. There are people who would fit wonderfully in PT but terribly with Dentistry because the two fields are so different. Benefits in the form of extra free-time and money isn't worth it if you hate what you do for a living.

Pretend for a moment that you could invent any dream job. If the first thing that comes to your mind is working for as few hours as possible while getting paid a large amount of money, I'd advise you to jump off that hedonic treadmill and realign yourself to a different worldview. Such a person does not appreciate hard work, which is something that a dentist must not mind doing.

If your dream job involves working with your hands and tools, solving visible and tangible problems, enhancing facial appearance, increasing someone's self-confidence, and improving oral health, then maybe dentistry is right for you.

Those are two completely mutually exclusive careers. It's like trying to decide between being an engineer or a fireman. That being said, there will probably be more room to choose the demographic you would like to work with in dentistry, whereas a lot of physical therapists are forced to see mostly geriatric patients. Sports PT and children are more competitive jobs. As far as schooling, it's not a contest. PT is far easier and, despite my personal objectives, will receive the title of Dr. (despite completing as many course hours in the entire program as a dentist will do in 2 years...).

That being said, I'm not necessarily passionate about teeth. I'm passionate about serving people, particularly indigent populations, in a tangible way. I personally chose to pursue improving the oral health of my patients. Figure out your passion, and follow it. It's really a silly question to be quite honest, and I don't think you've really given it enough serious thought or have been exposed to the fields to make a sound decision at this time, or so it would seem.