Cook County Hospital/Rush (Relocation Advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLUMD28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hoping to get some advice from anyone who works/studies at Cook County Hosp/Rush. Recently offered a position to work at Cook County Hospital and looking at options related to relocation. I've got a wife and 6 y/o son who I'd like to situate in an apartment in a SUBURBAN community that I can commute to/and from the hospital (via the L / car). How feasible is this? What am I looking at commute times to be?

Any advice ab specific neighborhoods this would be feasible from would be appreciated. My wife's going to school part time and I'm supporting her so we're being economical. IF you've got personal experience dealing w/ this commute and working there, would esp love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance and happy new year SDN family!

Members don't see this ad.

Not from Stroger myself; but work across the street & had a similar want for suburban-style life w/o a horrible commute. I lived in Oak Park, thinking the easiest approach would be from the western 'burbs, straight shot down the Eisenhower (I-290). I was very happy there.

Forest Park, Oak Park, River Forest are all on the Blue Line (CTA train); but all in that area are driveable. About 10-15min off-peak, sometimes an hour during rush hours... longer the farther out along 290 you go.

Also consider the Ogden corridor - Berwyn, Lyons, etc.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Daiphons advice is solid. The biggest variation is what kind of access you have to the trains which plays a part of commuting around Chicagoland.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stayed in Oak Park... drove every day. Probably 20 minute drive at night before a night shift.... 45 minute drive in the morning rush hour. Harlem to 290E.

being train dependent in Chicago is tough unless you're working a day shift type of job.

you pay a big premium if you are very close to the L... and walking to a train station in Chicago most months of the year is sheer misery.

i would have died w/o covered parking...

good luck.