Cool Pic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CameronFrye said:
That fat kid reminds me, have y'all seen the fan film "Anakin Dynamite" on the internet? It's pretty funny.
No I haven't seen this...but now I do. Where can I find it? I guess I'll try googling for it now.

Members don't see this ad.

Ha! Nice.

Light saber skillz. Speederbike skillz. Levitation skillz. Jedi mind trick skillz. :laugh:

Who would've thunk it! A cereal made specifically for video gamers.

l33t.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
Amen...and my reply post to salt was made in that spirit.

If people have a problem with stuff that is posted on an internet forum, that's fine. But arguing on the internet is ******ed. Such energy is better spent fighting causes like Save the Dolphins or Americans Against NAMBLA.

arguingOnTheInternet.jpg

salt, you don't need to apologize for anything. everyone is entitled to their beliefs and the great thing about America is that we have the right to disagree. and if you want to come down hard on me for making fun of special people, by all means go ahead.

Yeah, you're right. It was ******ed for me to say that you have no right to judge...

When you lack the capacity to address issues directly, delegitimize the venue and pander to bigotry by taking cheap shots at easy targets. Classy.

I hope you're feeling better about yourself, smart guy.

salt said:
When you lack the capacity to address challenging issues directly, delegitimize the venue and pander to bigotry by taking cheap shots at easy targets. Classy.

I hope you're feeling better about yourself, smart guy.
Um dude, if I wanted to challenge issues directly, a stupid forum is the last place I would do this. Seriously, nobody is gonna give a **** about you here. Get off your high horse. And your attempts to lay guilt-trips on people are pathetically lame. Oh no, this dude on SDN forum named salt said I was a bad person. Wah! I think I'm gonna cry to mommy now.

Here's the thing. I already know that I am a bad person. I've accepted this. I'm OK with this. So you're wasting your breath trying to come down hard on me.

salt said:
When you lack the capacity to address challenging issues directly, delegitimize the venue and pander to bigotry by taking cheap shots at easy targets.

That's like one horribly long run-on prepositional phrase, you know. It's not even a real sentence. :p

I think people who have been on this forum for awhile know that Andy is a good guy and like all of us, has fun on here and none of it is meant to be malicious. Whether or not you see it as malicious or not is up to you and only up to you. Preaching about lack of understanding and class doesn't help matters and only serves to stifle discussion and the fun we have here. Your points about insensitive posts are noted.

yaah said:
Preaching about lack of understanding and class doesn't help matters and only serves to stifle discussion and the fun we have here. Your points about insensitive posts are noted.
But that's the thing...it's not gonna stifle discussion and fun. OK maybe if like multiple people started preaching, that would be one thing. But this is coming from some random dude who nobody knows and rarely visits the forum. A few posts (that really stick out like a sore thumb from the majority of posts you see on SDN path) about how insensitive, callous, intolerant, and classless some of us are will not have earth-shattering effects.

Yeah you're right. I didn't mean to imply earth shattering effects. I just meant that some people might get turned off if they see someone is watching to police everything they say and criticize them for it.

yaah said:
Yeah you're right. I didn't mean to imply earth shattering effects.
Oh, I wasn't implying that. I was being sarcastic.
yaah said:
I just meant that some people might get turned off if they see someone is watching to police everything they say and criticize them for it.
Well, agreed. Some people have thicker skin than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of growing up is learning that not every person who acts in an obnoxious manner is sincerely obnoxious. Some people do it to entertain themselves and others. Life is boring if it's constrained by political correctness 24/7. And even if one were to strive to live that way political correctness is transient, subjective, and quite often repressive.

Let go of the desire to fit everyone into the same mold you put yourself into and you'll find that different is not always a bad thing. Respect diversity in opinions and actions. Work on your own growth and be an example. Don't just nag at other people. It's annoying and it accomplishes little, if anything. You are the person who matters most to you. Focus your time there. And, when you venture out, try to make it via positive interactions. The manner in which you approach others is often the determining factor in whether or not they will accept your ideas.

AndyMilonakis said:
A few posts (that really stick out like a sore thumb from the majority of posts you see on SDN path) about how insensitive, callous, intolerant, and classless some of us are will not have earth-shattering effects.
Dammit I see I missed quite a bit of fun earlier today :(

bananaface said:
That could be interpreted 2 ways:

1) The wearer is antisocial
2) The wearer likes to screw things other than people
That possibility of misinterpretation is as usual due to the gross under-use of the hyphen. I read it as there being a hyphen between the words "people" and "person".

finally was able to find this picture. for a few days we had this picture right next to the door of the boss's office. of course, it mysteriously disappeared...

102480.jpg

This really belongs in the Official Anti-Clinical Medicine Thread but oh well...

bitchslap.jpg

deschutes said:
I've stared and stared at this. Does not compute. :confused:
some mens be askin' the wimmens to shave their beavers...hopefully making a little more sense now?

it's quite a clever picture.

When you lack the capacity to address issues directly, delegitimize the venue and pander to bigotry by taking cheap shots at easy targets.
This is a complete sentence. It begins with an adverbial subordinator, "when," which introduces a conditional adverbial phrase, itself concluding with the adverb "directly;" this is followed by the sentence's subject, an implied "you," which establishes an imperative mood for sentence overall; the sentence continues with two successive present-tense verb phrases, connected by the conjunction "and," each containing a distinct direct object, the second being a prepositional phrase headed off by "to" and ending with the object of the preposition, "bigotry;" finally, the sentence concludes with two additional prepositional phrases, the object of the first being an embedded gerundive phrase, namely, "taking cheap shots," and the second propositional phrase consisting of but three words, beginning with "at" and ending with "targets."

So you see, rather than "one horribly long run-on prepositional phrase," it is in fact a number of such phrases, as well as other parts of speech, aggregated in grammatically correct fashion to form a complete sentence.

By way of example, the clause in question is formally identical to the proverbial sentence, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Ah, I stand corrected! I hadn't realized you were using delegitimize in that fashion. In my reading of the sentence, delegitimize was being used in a continuum with "when." Thus, as I saw it, I could break down the sentence (fragment) as:

When you lack the capacity...
When you delegitizime...
and When you pander to bigotry...

Correcting the sentence as follows: When you lack the capacity to address challenging issues directly, when you delegitimize the venue and when you pander to bigotry by taking cheap shots at easy targets.

Thus, delegitimize, lack, and pander I had seen as all related, and not parts of separate phrases. So you see, in my world, I was still looking for the punch line. When you do all of this, you will... You would have solved my problem had you constructed the sentence as "You delegitimize the venue and pander to bigotry by taking cheap shots at easy targets when you lack the capacity to address challenging issues directly." Of course, that does sound rather trite and basic. So your way is better.

I am pwned.

I have an idea....how about every single english-fetish-f*ckface SHUT THE F*CK UP!

stfuplz.jpg

deschutes said:
*getting the hell outta the way of the grammarfest*

Thank you Nana. Is there a male equivalent? (i.e. in the context of - what do guys shave?)
Guys here don't typically shave much but their faces. Or, some shave their heads if they are going bald anyway or if they just think it looks cool. Every once in awhile some guy will shave/wax a super hairy back or something. And sometimes male swimmers will shave their entire bodies to cut down of friction in the pool. That's about it.

LADoc00 said:
Ohhh I have to post this one:
3-bangs-for-your-butt.jpg
hmm...so that's what that is. you know, yaah had one of those in his purse that he brought to the bar the other night.

then the whole conversation about "***** school"...coincidence?

hmm...if yaah was 28 when finishing med school, he must have taken some time off somewhere in there since college. ***** school it is!

I'm not sure why I was quoted as the context for an anal toy, but, whatever.

deschutes, that looks like a fortune cookie to me. It's fake looking, though, like those tacky fake fruits and vegetables you sometimes see.

I got eggrolls at the grocery store. I am going to have some for lunch. MMM!

bananaface said:
Part of growing up is learning that not every person who acts in an obnoxious manner is sincerely obnoxious. Some people do it to entertain themselves and others. Life is boring if it's constrained by political correctness 24/7. And even if one were to strive to live that way political correctness is transient, subjective, and quite often repressive.

Let go of the desire to fit everyone into the same mold you put yourself into and you'll find that different is not always a bad thing. Respect diversity in opinions and actions. Work on your own growth and be an example. Don't just nag at other people. It's annoying and it accomplishes little, if anything. You are the person who matters most to you. Focus your time there. And, when you venture out, try to make it via positive interactions. The manner in which you approach others is often the determining factor in whether or not they will accept your ideas.

What is one to conclude from this montage of stale fortune cookie quips, drossy Dr Phil pabulum, and dribs too drab for any chicken soup book?

That it is childish, or at least not “grown up,” to admonish words and actions one finds obnoxious or offensive? That it’s OK to be obnoxious, cruel, or bigoted as long as it’s entertaining? That I’m somehow stunting my “own growth” by taking a moral stand on something (ill-placed though it may be)?

Perhaps I should surf the net for pictures of butt plugs and dog crap, post a few of those; that’ll surely fecundate some self growth. And, hey, it’s entertaining.

Life is boring if it's constrained by transient and subjective "political correctness"? It’s telling how often anything even wispily critical of bigotry or prejudice is summarily discounted by a labeling with those two words, rather than addressed directly.

Respect diversity in opinions and actions? Does that mean one should never speak one’s mind if there’s any chance one’s remarks may be interpreted as challenging or critical of another’s words or deeds?

Who is being repressive here? Who is trying to fit whom into a “mold”?

good points.

it is true that people's threshholds for what is deemed offensive or not is different.

let's just leave it at that.

nobody should feel repressed. keep posting away. i'll keep ignoring you.

moving right along...

has anyone happened to see this movie? i thought it was pretty hilarious :laugh:

B00009MEKQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

basically, it's like the Spinal Tap spoof film but here it's applied to rap artists. you gotz rappers like Ice Water, Ice Pick, Ice Tray, Tone Def, etc.

Salt,
You should really get those burns looked at. They may become infected. How many times do I have to tell you not to play with fire?

deschutes said:
salt, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Not being sarcastic - just curious.

That we're all immature and we need to grow up because other people might get their feelings hurt and that would be bad.

deschutes said:
salt, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Not being sarcastic - just curious.
who cares? he's not that important.

salt said:
What is one to conclude from this montage of stale fortune cookie quips, drossy Dr Phil pabulum, and dribs too drab for any chicken soup book?

That it is childish, or at least not “grown up,” to admonish words and actions one finds obnoxious or offensive? That it’s OK to be obnoxious, cruel, or bigoted as long as it’s entertaining? That I’m somehow stunting my “own growth” by taking a moral stand on something (ill-placed though it may be)?

Perhaps I should surf the net for pictures of butt plugs and dog crap, post a few of those; that’ll surely fecundate some self growth. And, hey, it’s entertaining.

Life is boring if it's constrained by transient and subjective "political correctness"? It’s telling how often anything even wispily critical of bigotry or prejudice is summarily discounted by a labeling with those two words, rather than addressed directly.

Respect diversity in opinions and actions? Does that mean one should never speak one’s mind if there’s any chance one’s remarks may be interpreted as challenging or critical of another’s words or deeds?

Who is being repressive here? Who is trying to fit whom into a “mold”?
You made an interesting comment, which is that your moral stand is ill placed. The fact of the matter is that the current administration and the media have worked together to generate alot of hatred. Not only is throwing a temper tantrum on an internet forum not going to change this, but the attitude with which you do so alienates those you are trying to win over and is in fact counterproductive. I'd agree that your moral stand is ill placed, and add ill delivered. Those two concepts are intertwined, as the better your people skills get, the more often you can take a stand without people thinking your actions are malplaced.

Don't take things here so seriously. And, when a roomful of people tell you that you are over reacting, consider the possibility.

bananaface said:
You made an interesting comment, which is that your moral stand is ill placed. The fact of the matter is that the current administration and the media have worked together to generate alot of hatred. Not only is throwing a temper tantrum on an internet forum not going to change this, but the attitude with which you do so alienates those you are trying to win over and is in fact counterproductive. I'd agree that your moral stand is ill placed, and add ill delivered. Those two concepts are intertwined, as the better your people skills get, the more often you can take a stand without people thinking your actions are malplaced.

Don't take things here so seriously.

And, when a roomful of people tell you that you are over reacting, consider the possibility.
Roomful of people
Watch someone burn. None react,
Except Nelson Muntz.

salt said:
Roomful of people
Watch someone burn. None react,
Except Nelson Muntz.

As a corollary to this, at one point in our hospital apparently 15-20 years ago, there was a dead person in an elevator for approximately 72 hours before anyone was astute enough to realize that the person sitting in the wheelchair was, in fact, dead. I don't know whether this was a parking garage elevator or not - hopefully it wasn't one frequented by doctors but it wouldn't surprise anyone I would imagine.

Excellent use of Haiku. :thumbup:

Wow. A2 much be a safe and keep to yourself type of place. Here I'm pretty sure someone would have tried to go through the persons pockets within the first hour of their sitting in the elevator unattended or tried to start babbling at them and figured out what was up.