Cooper Medical School - NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Out of 19 applications, this is the lucky one that yielded me an acceptance. I don't know much about the school though, to be honest, as far as the quality of the education here/the reputation(I know its new), or even just a general review of what it was like to go to this school.(How were staff/tests/other students/competitiveness) Are there any students who attend the school and can give it a pros/cons to other NJ schools? As far as I know the only big pro is the Cooper Hospital, not sure why though. Also accept what anyone has heard about this institution. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Just got an interview at FSU!!! First steps to get in, but if I did, how would this schools program compare to Cooper? I’m sure the first two years are similar but idk how the clinicals are at fsu
Can't help with FSU sorry. I had just stumbled on the RowanSOM and AOA match threads today and I thought that they were relevant to the choice between Cooper and Rowan. Good luck with the interview!

I’m just going to go ahead and assume that mostly everyone is going to tell you FSU > Cooper > Rowan

I know nothing whatsoever about FSU and their program, but I do know that its got a good reputation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the help everyone. Just got an interview at FSU!!! First steps to get in, but if I did, how would this schools program compare to Cooper? I’m sure the first two years are similar but idk how the clinicals are at fsu
FSU>Cooper and RowanSOM. If you get accepted at FSU go no brainer. unless you get in-state tuition in NJ and you wanna shed off some med school expenses

Members don't see this ad :)
PLUS I am undergraduate here at FSU. Thanks all. God I hope I get this acceptance!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I seriously don't have a dog in the fight (not an applicant or MD/DO student) but choosing DO in this time of the merger is risky. (This has nothing to do with any feeling that DO is not equivalent to MD on my part.) As a DO student, you will have to take both COMLEX and Step 1, pass OMM classes and deal with reduced AOA spots due to the merger. Those are burdens an MD student doesn't have to deal with. Just read this thread here and see the anguish of these graduating M4s who are dealing with the merger's reduction of dedicated DO spots.

And then read this specific thread with shadowlightfox's (current RowanSOM student) viewpoints

IMO the only valid reason to pick a DO acceptance over an MD acceptance is if you have a spouse/kids/parents who absolutely refuse to move so that the applicant is geographically-limited for med school. Maybe after the merger in 2020 things will settle down but you'll be graduating in 2022 when the effects of the merger will still be in play. Why make it harder on yourself?

Pretty much. Only reason I'd ever imagine you pick a DO over MD school is if you got into an out of state MD vs in-state DO school or your really REALLY love the osteopathic principles. And I can tell you from first hand that if your main reasoning for choosing RowanSOM is based on its reputation built up when it was UMDNJ-SOM, you have a whole other thing coming at you because whatever it was that made UMDNJ-SOM such a great school does not exist at RowanSOM currently, as it's a shell of its former self...

I'll write a more detailed review of the school in the future so look forward to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
you honestly just sound like a pompous know it all classic MD student. i'm sure you'll have a great bedside manner

Making perfectly valid points to help the OP =/= disrespecting DOs =/= having poor """bedside manner"""" (which is somehow the backhanded remark these discussions always degenerate into). Is it also "pompous" to say UCSF has tighter admissions standards and more high-tier match outcomes than Cooper? Because I think that's just a plain fact, yet it's MD:MD so it's ok to say that. Come on.