Coordination Compounds/ Complex Ions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwfergus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey in CHEM II we focuses very heavily on these types of equations/nomenclature/etc but my Kaplan book doesnt cover them at all. Does this mean they are not on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never really seen anything about them, and if its on the MCAT it will probably explain what they are in the passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a whole passage on this on the 8/5/08 MCAT. I would be somewhat familiar with the concepts.

you should know it, there were a few questions on coordination compounds and a passage on complex ions on the Aug. 7th exam as well. (that's today :))

Haha, I thought this thread was someone looking for the answers to the (multiple) questions about coordination on the MCAT today.

Yeah, I'd say it MIGHT show up on an MCAT, seeing as I just took the damn thing, haha.

what's there to know? isn't it just a metal ion with coordinate covalent bonds from the ligands?

Alright! ill definitely review them

Umm.... Nomenclature (naming them and how to name them like: [Co(NH3)5Cl]Cl2 is Pentaamminechlorocobalt(III) chloride, Coordination numbers, Ligands (bidentate, chelating.. etc), Different isomers of them, bonding, Crystal Field Theory (strong/weak, high/low spin)

But there is a good amount on them

I don't think you have to know chelating and their different isomers or Crystal Field Theory? I am not sure but I think if they asked you questions about that, the background would have to be explained in the passage.

For those who saw it on the MCAT though please correct me if I am wrong!!!