COP-only graduation, or mass grad?

Started by pharm B
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This came up in conversation with someone recently. Does your COP do its graduation ceremony as a part of a larger ceremony thrown by the general campus? (ex: Y State Uni commencement, with all degrees from BA to PharmD in one ceremony)

Or do you have a smaller ceremony with just the COP grads? I say smaller only because I know we have 87 in our class, but I've definitely heard of some bigger cohorts out there.
 
At my college, which has about 25,000 students, they had a huge ceremony for liberal arts graduates, and separate ceremonies for pharmacy, engineering, nursing, and education, in addition to the graduate colleges having their own too.

Ours was in a hotel ballroom and we got 8 tickets each; the liberal arts ceremony was held at the sports arena and people could bring as many guests as they wanted. My tickets were used by my parents, brother, and sister, and I gave the other 4 to a friend who was the first person in her family to graduate from college and was from a large family, and had invited about 20 people.

It was 17 years ago today - yes, also a Friday the 13th. 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We had a pharmacy-only ceremony and we could attend the larger ceremony. I only went to the pharmacy-only one and hit the road the next morning to move it Iglooville.
 
I have my graduation ceremony for undergrad tomorrow and it includes all of the Arts and Sciences grads, plus Dental, Law and Med. I don't know what my COP does, but if that's how they do it, I'm going to be sort of pissed.
 
I have my graduation ceremony for undergrad tomorrow and it includes all of the Arts and Sciences grads, plus Dental, Law and Med. I don't know what my COP does, but if that's how they do it, I'm going to be sort of pissed.

Thats horrible ! I would be so pissed if I was graduating from a medical school in the same ceremony as someone was getting their BA in psychology. Quite a difference in accomplishment level !

Thank God our school is a medical sciences only campus, no undergrads, just health care professionals. :meanie:
 
We have a School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences ceremony. The vast majority of graduates are PharmD, but there are 5-6 BS, MS and PhDs mixed in there.

It's a really nice ceremony every year - we get a concert hall with one of the largest pipe organs in the country playing. Very nice for the families.
 
Thats horrible ! I would be so pissed if I was graduating from a medical school in the same ceremony as someone was getting their BA in psychology. Quite a difference in accomplishment level !

Thank God our school is a medical sciences only campus, no undergrads, just health care professionals. :meanie:
I can't remember what school she went to, but a friend graduated with her MD and had to participate in a MASSIVE processional before a ceremony where all degrees were conferred.

Just seeing if most schools do smaller more intimate ceremonies for the PharmD's.
 
Our undergrads are in the morning, and our ceremony is with all the grad students (MBA, NP, EdD, etc) in the afternoon. After attending the undergrad ceremony last week, once was enough... if it was combined, I probably would not walk.
 
USC does both. Mass grad at the main UG campus (about 1/3 of my class went) and SOP grad for all the PharmD, MS Regulatory Science, PhD pharmacoeconomics, PhD pharmaceutical sciences, etc grads.