Cornell housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stewie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be working in a lab at Cornell medical school this summer and I'd like to know if i'm eligible for cornell housing. Who should I call to ask for housing? Where is it? How much is it? i need cheap housing near the med school!! thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did research for Cornell Med for a year and I lived in Olin Hall which is the dorm for the MSIs and most of the MSIIs. The building is located at the corner of 69th and York and is across the street from the main hospital. While the location was great and the rent was subsidized, the rooms were awful (I mean really, really awful) and I felt like a freshman in college again with the dorm style set up. A limited number of rooms are available in Olin for non-med students (ie PA students and researchers). You should contact the housing office to see what your options are. Their number is 212-746-1001.

thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus. I live there now and its not that bad. Also, no 2nd years live here. You get used to it, and you know your classmates a lot better, plus there's undergrads here too from Cornell doing research.

Fock...that sort of sucks that you have live like a freshman in college even though you're a MSI. Eh...can't be any worse than the units **shudder** here at Berkeley. (other Berkeleyans will know what I'm talking about)

the first year dorms were renovated in 98 i think...a couple of years after I moved out. I don't think they're so awful now, but I guess it's all relative. the old olin hall did not have air conditioning in any of the rooms...the walls used to sweat! there were no t1 connections. the circuit breaker would cut off if more than 2 or three things were turned on (including in your neighbors room since two rooms share a bathroom and a circuit breaker). it was a much more miserable 9 x 12 space then it is now that they've added AC, T1 and upgraded the wiring...as well as new furniture.

plus living in olin is one of those 'writes of passage' - it always makes it to alumni meeting discussions.

good luck contacting the housing office -- they aren't the most helpful or the brightest.

The dorms aren't bad... the furniture is nice, the rooms are kinda small, but definately larger than the double I had freshman year (and we had communal bathrooms). Two singles share a bathroom. Definately not dorm-like, but its not an apartment either.

A/C, internet, plus you should have access to the library and comp labs across the street, so you wont need a comp (damn near no one uses them, especially during the summer). Bring a television, because the other summer programs hog the one in the student lounge. You'll have to pay for cable, but you can get over 20 channels just by plugging it in to the cable thingie.